Tuesday, December 09, 2008

whitework


My MIL has finished the embroidery in the shawl and apron of my bunad , (previous post about it) , and I went to the first fitting at the tailor last week. Meanwhile MIL has started working on the shirt. At first she didn't plan to do it, because having made one for herself years ago she knew what it requires in terms of eyesight. But then she discovered the various lamps and magnifying devices that are on the market, and heroically decided to jump in.

Here she is at her magnifying lamp, wearing her magnifying binocular eye glasses. She needs all these gadgets, because the embroidery is hardanger whitework, which involves tiny little stitches of white on white linen, counting the tiny little white threads of the linen fabric. This is not the most commonly used embroidery for the bunad shirts of my region, but thankfully MIL says although it's trickier it's also a lot more interesting than the other style. The shirt is a loose fitting linen garment, with embroidery on the collar, the wristbands and down the front.

I tried to take some close ups. They came out quite grey, but you get the picture. The red embroidery is a sampler where the stitches are bigger, and red of course, to make it easier to see the pattern.

more reading about bunad here

4 comments:

wallace said...

This is amazing. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Chery said...

I love doing Hardanger.... I need to get out my case of linen and threads.

Inger said...

Fantastisk! Imponerende!

Hilde said...

hei Marie, så kjekt å være innom bloggen din igjen. Prøvde å ringe idag men du var ikke hjemme :-) vi snakkes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...