Thursday, May 01, 2008

for me!



my mother in law dropped by this afternoon to show her progress on the bunad she is making for me. Yes, bunad!, handmade!, big project!, for me!! It's a pretty amazing thing to do for someone else, so I was happy to hear that she's loving the work. In fact she's so obsessed with it that she gets up at six o'clock in the morning so she can get in an hour of embroidering before work. In less than a week she has almost finished the shawl!



You may remember the child size bunad she made for Nene. Mine is from the same region, so it's similar, but not identical. The embroidery is a different pattern, and mine is a brand that uses a lighter, more delicate fabric, and lighter thread so the overall impression is more delicate. They also have a wider range of colours to choose between for the bodice, and the embroidery is available in a warm autumn colour scheme, which suits me better than the bright colours that were used for Nene's bunad.



The modern bunad tradition in Norway is dominated by the crafts council, which (to some of us) comes across as a bit religious and strict about it, and are jokingly referred to as the bunad police.If they knew that I plan to use silver jewelry from a different region, they would proabably try to have me arrested. The company I have chosen is a bit more relaxed, and they thought it was a splendid idea to use the
beautiful silver belt i have inherited, even if it's from a different region and technically belongs to a different bunad. I have talked to many people about it, and some think I'm crazy to even consider it, and others think it's a beautiful idea to use what you already have and connect with the past through it. I think you have to be a local to understand quite how emotional people get over these questions!

13 comments:

Beth S. said...

I thought Nene's was pretty, but now I see it was just practice for this gorgeous piece! The embroidery is absolutely stunning. You are lucky to have someone so talented in your family. :-)

zebraknits said...

Wow! So incredibly beautiful! How lucky you're!!

Hege said...

Nydelig! You are so lucky! Will it be ready for the 17th? :)

Marie said...

it will be ready for the 17th - next year!! I need to lose weight + save up money for the shirt before it can be finished!

Susan said...

That's so beautiful! I look forward to the 17th of May parade in Brooklyn each year as it's my only chance to see bunads in New York outside of the Sons of Norway lodge. Your MIL's work is stunning!

ArtMind said...

That does sound like a wonderufl tradition. Bit complicated too if you're not familiar with it but it is so nice to read a bit more about it.
I think you're very lucky with a MIL like that! ;)

ixela said...

So wonderful... great artwork!!!

KnitYoga said...

The embroidery is absolutely exquisite and I think it's right and proper and also wonderful that you should use the beautiful belt that has been inherited.

Poshyarns said...

Oh my, what a beautiful and special thing to own, this will become your very own treasured heirloom and I think it is lovely that you can use the belt that you already have, makes it even more personal and special.

Trinemor said...

Fantastisk! Heldig du som har en så snill svigermor ;-)

mimouna said...

Så heldig du er, bunaden blir flott! Kjekt at svigermor koser seg med arbeidet da, da blir jo det hele ekstra hyggelig.

Astrid said...

Det er da fantastisk, at din svigermor laver en bunad til dig! Hvor er det smukke detaljer, du viser frem! Faldt lige over din blog igennem en anden, og tror jeg vil følge med lidt - der ser ud til at være en dejlig stemning! ;)

Sylvia C. said...

Great blog and great etsy shop!

Sylvia C.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...