Thursday, March 08, 2007

More ridges (and a ruffle) and the perfect red

This was love at first sight:



Handdyed Fat Sock from Hello Yarn, in the Five Spice colourway. It's thicker than most sock yarns, and the colour is my favorite warm tomato red that's not too orange, not too rusty, not too red - just perfect. The red colour is actually four or five different shades of red. Add to that little splashes of juicy green and we're beyond perfect. Clearly this is too good for socks, so I decided to knit a necklace instead:



Just kidding. It's the ruffle of the Ruffles & Ridges Shawl from Fibertrends. Close-up of warm red yumminess knit up:



When I bought the yarn I thought I was buying sock yarn, so I didn't buy enough for a shawl. But I had a perfect companion in my stash, actually a leftover from Nene's elephant cardi: Warm red Lanett from SandnesGarn. Lanett is fingering weight so I held it double and got a gauge that was, well, close enough. The pattern is made up of alternating stockinette and reverse stockinette ridges, so I just alternated the yarns after the ridges. The beauty of it is that the shawl is reversible, so now I have one side that is mainly solid red Lanett, but with the variegated yarn visible between the ridges and also spilling into he first row of each Lanett ridge. The other side is of course mainly variegated, but with solid red between the ridges. And the ruffle is all variegated. I used an entire ball of Fat Sock for the ruffle, but less than a ball for the rest of the shawl, so much to my surprise I have leftovers. I'm thinking a matching ridges hat. Next year. It's a tiny shawl (the pattern is written for worsted/bulky at 13 st/10 cm, but I knit it at 22 st/10 cm), but I wanted small because I want to wear it as a scarf, so that's good too.

Right side (where Fat Sock is dominant):



Wrong side (where Lanett is dominant):



Bird's view:

13 comments:

Hilde C. said...

Åh, det sjalet ble vakkert! :-)

brooke said...

Oh, that Hellow Yarn is beautiful, definitely too nice to be worn as socks. It's going to be a gorgeous shawl.

karen said...

That is amazing how wonderfully they blend in together! What a brilliant idea!! Beeeeutiful, beeutiful shawl! And I really have a weakness for that red/green combination!

Allyson said...

Beautiful. I don't think that pattern every would have jumped out at me before...but yours is just incredible!

britt said...

Hvor er det smukt! Virkelig god ide at udnytte garnerne på den måde!
KH Britt

Bente B said...

Nydelig sjal!!! Fargene er jo fantastiske! Det likte jeg veldig godt, altås!!!

HPNY Knits said...

the red is stunning. the scarf looks so cozy!

smileull said...

That is simply stunning! I love how you combined the two types of yarn. It's such a neat idea.

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous shawl!! I love the color.

Adrian said...

It's gorgeous! Thanks for using my yarn in such a lovely way.

nicole said...

You're right, that's the absolutely perfect type of red. It'll look great on you!

hege said...

Beautiful! It looks so warm and inviting to wear. What a perfect way to combine the yarns.

Beth S. said...

That IS the perfect red! I love the little yellow-green accents, too. Beautiful! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...