Sunday, August 12, 2007

Rowan 42 - my picks

I was very impressed with the new Rowan magazine. I thought Rowan 40 was brilliant, but this one is even better. Seventeen designs caught my eye the first time I looked through it :gasp: As I still haven't finished the one project I started from Rowan 40, I guess I should cut down to, I don't know, less than 10, less than 5, 2?

The Iceland sweater (left) and the Earth wrap (top) are two designs I really like, but will probably not knit. Well, the Iceland sweater is the one I'll probably not knit, whereas the Earth wrap with its demand for 14 balls of Kidsilk Haze is the one I'll most definitely not knit. How is it even possible to use 14 balls for of KSH for a scarf!??! I really like the Iceland sweater, but there's something about it that makes me hesitate. I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about the yarn looking too heavy, I think it's my fear of sagging sweaters. Don't know, but it's so nice, that I'll definitely give it another thought or two.

The Belgrade sweater is one I consider making, but in different colours for more of a daytime look. It's either this or a pattern of my own which involves KSH held double, but the same batwing sleeves and ribbed waist in a heavier yarn. I don't think it's worth the time and effort to develop my own pattern when this great pattern is there all ready for me.

Then there are the two patterns that I would have queued in ravelry if I weren't to lazy to list brand new patterns there, so now I'm queueing them here instead. For myself I finally found a cosy cabled cardigan that I really want to make, I've been looking for a perfect, traditional kind of cabled cardi for ages, big enough to be snuggly, but with interesting cables, and a shape that doesn't remind me too much of a bath robe. The Eurasia cardi looks like a keeper. Likewise I've been looking for a really nice aran
pattern for BF. I finally settled on a SandnesGarn pattern, I even bought the yarn and almost cast on, but now I might go with the Leven sweater instead.

I have found out that when I blog about future projects, in most cases I do start them eventually, but I tend to lag behind a year or so. So I expect to start these projects just before the next great Rowan mag (which i don't expect to be the Spring issue, I never like the Spring issue), so don't expect WIPs any time soon!

6 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

I need to start getting the Rowan magazine. That last sweater would be wonderful for my husband.

Eleanor said...

The Iceland sweater - maybe it's because you might have two leaves highlighting your chest if it stretches out wrong?

Love that last sweater for my fella too!

Hilde C. said...

Det skjerfet så utrolig lekkert ut, men 14 nøster hørtes voldsomt ut ja. Men lekkert, lekkert, lekkert :-)

marit said...

The mens sweater looks lovely! So does the scarf...but it doesn't quite suit my wallet-LOL!

Vanessa said...

me too! I love this issue. There are atleast 2 sweaters i would love to them.

Beth S. said...

I can't imagine using 14 skeins of KSH in any project. My Moth shawl used less than five skeins, and it's practically big enough to sleep under.

The cabled sweaters are gorgeous, though. I'll have to keep my eye out for this issue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...