Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mystery solved!

A reader helped me identify the sweater from yesterday's post, and it is indeed a Schachenmayr Nomotta pattern, knit in a yarn called Dover. (is it just me, or does it look a lot nicer as knit up by the LYS (yesterdays post), than in the pattern book picture on the left?? I wouldn't have noticed this pattern at all if I had just seen it in the book.) Anyway, according to the Knitting Zone "Dover is a roving-like yarn wrapped with a contrasting thread. 32% wool, 68% acrylic, Dover knits at 3.5 stitches per inch on 10 US needles and has approximately 82 yards per ball." The second picture is Dover up close. I really like the look of it, but there is no way I'm going to waste good knitting time on acrylic, so I'm looking for substitues. Dover's recommended gauge of 14/10 is a bit heavy for my taste, I don't think such a heavy garment would get much wear, so I'm looking at lighter yarns too. To keep the roving like effect I'm thinking of Alafoss Lopi or Garnstudio Eskimo, possibly held double with a lace yarn to achieve the tweedy effect. Or perhaps this is the perfect project to try out yarns I really want to try, like Malabrigo Worsted or Colinette's Skye. Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb is another yarn I've wanted to use for a sweater. Eskimo is too heavy, but I think Lopi would be a perfect substitute. But I want to try Malabrigo more than I want to try Lopi. Then there is the question of colour. I think the sweater is perfect for a natural beige kind of colour. But if I go for malabrigo or Lion & Lamb it seems like a shame to not use a rich and saturated jewel like colour. Oh, the choices, the decisions, the possibilities...

3 comments:

hege said...

It's a beautiful sweater. I love the tweedy look of the yarn and the great shape. I wouldn't be too worried about the acrylic blend, though. Some acrylic blends are not bad! I think you would die of heat if you made this in f.ex. Lopi or Eskimo. It is pretty thick yarn.

hege said...

Sorry, I meant to add, I have seen a sweater like that in Malabrigo, though, and it was perfect! :)

Mama Urchin said...

See, one mystery solved and now you have another mystery - what yarn to use?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...