Thursday, May 10, 2007

Freehand knitting

I have dug out my red sweater, and finished the body. I don't have a pattern, but have been using a template from 1000 Sweaters that I like and have used a couple of times before. When I reached the armholes and the neckline I was on my own however. I could have done some careful calculations to make sure it will come out perfect, but am too lazy. Instead I have been trying it on for size as I go along, and I'm pretty confident that it will fit. What I don't know though is if the neckline will look good. I'm planning a scooped neck edged with two rows of piping like the hem. To achieve that I have cast off all the stitches and will have to pick them up again to knit the edge. I have been toying with the idea of replacing one of the ridges with an I-cord, thinking it would look the same, but it won't because the direction of the knitting would be 90 degrees turned and i'm not sure i would be happy with that. I am going to cast on for sleeves tomorrow so I have to decide soon what they will be. I want three quarter length sleeves that are slightly flared, and edged with the same piping. But I know from experience that I don't really like to wear flared sleeves, as I always tend to push my sleeves up above my elbows. Two years ago I knitted an alpaca sweater with flared sleeves and three rows of piping, and the piping makes the sleeves quite heavy, and I hate to have that heavy fabric flopping around my wrists. So I might go for comfortable instead this time!

Completely unrelated, here's the latest picture of my princess. Can someone please bring a prince to wake her up in time for supper, because all my efforts were fruitless...

6 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

I love the princess with the pacifier. So cute.

karen said...

i love that red!! it looks like it will be perfectly fitted! I would go for the picking up of stitches - then you will get identical piping around the neck. I think a scooped neck will be perfect!
I'm sure that the prince needed for that task would have to be extremely loud and persistent!
what a complete little darling...

Terhi said...

The cutest princess I've ever seen. :-)

Janette said...

What a fabulous photo of Princess Snow White. Do hope she did not miss her dinner.

Anne said...

I could send you a VERY loud and persistent 5 year-old prince - please?!

blåggdama said...

Så flott bilde av den sovende prinsessen :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...