Friday, April 27, 2007

Green green green

I did cast on a green sock last Thursday like I said I would. It was going really well, and i though I got that knitting mojo back, but that was before a mean little stomach bug sent me to my bed for four days. I don' know why, but if my head or my tummy hurts I simply can not knit. It's weird because if it was a body part that was actually vital for knitting, like hands or arms, I would probably just keep knitting.


Anyway, this is the Waving Lace sock from Favorite Socks, and it's a great pattern. It reminds me a bit about pomatomus and similar patterns, but is a lot easier to knit. The yarn is Fleece Artist in the Moss colourway. I haven't tried Fleece Artist before, and although it's a fabulous yarn(nice and soft, vibrant colour), I'll probably not use it again. With 64 stitches I had to go down to 1.5 mm needles, and the sock still seems a bit big and the gauge a bit loose. It seems easier to choose a different yarn next time than rewriting a pattern or buy smaller needles. I don't know where I could buy smaller needles than 1.5 mm? Not complaining about the needles though, they're great; nice and slippery, and don't bend no matter what I put them through. If only I could remember the brand I would tell you ;-) Perhaps my Norwegian readers know what they are -I bought them at Husfliden and I'm pretty sure they're not PT/Addi. Could it be Inox? (but they're not grey like regular Inox).

I'm trying raw silk reinforcement yarn for the heel for the first time (previously mentioned here). The natural colour of the silk yarn does shine through, but I think it looks alright. (you can see it on the heel flap in the bottom of the picture). The two yarns together make a very dense fabric, that I'm sure is going to hold up for a century (a opposed to the three months of my other socks - all my other socks). I'll be using the reinforcement yarn for the heel, but not the toe. I 'll also use it for the ball of the foot, because that's where my socks tend to wear out. I just wish I could find a way to do it without creating a zillion ends to weave in. On the other hand, weaving in those ends is going to be a lot easier than all the darning I've been doing on my hand knits socks so far!

8 comments:

MagFly said...

Nice socks, and my colour!

And my Inox 1,5 needles from Husfliden are not grey either.

HPNY Knits said...

hope you get better soon! there is a connections stomach to brain:
http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19990501-000013.html

nice color for the socks!

strikkeforsker said...

Beautiful socks, take care knitting with needle sizes too small can be painful - my wrists still hurts 3 weeks after finishing a pair of socks with STR on size 2 mm needles ouch.

You should be able to find 1.25 and possibly 1.00 mm somewhere in Europe, but they are hard to find. I have bought 1.25 mm Addi in Tallin

smileull said...

Nice! Love the color! Just wanted to say I haven't forgotten your calendar. I'm just hoping you don't need in yet. I've got it all cut out but have put it on hold because of the mei tai craze :-)

brooke said...

The heel on the sock looks great-beautiful pattern too. I can't knit a stitch if my stomach hurts either. I hope you feel better soon!

hege said...

The green sock looks beautiful! There is a good site in the US for needles down to 0.75 mm:
http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/n_knitting.html
Scroll down to see the different sizes. They have lots of hard-to-find tools! I don't know what brand they are or where you could get them in Europe, though, sorry.

KnitYoga said...

Shame about the yarn and the problems with gauge as it looks really nice and such a gorgeous colour! I really like the stitch pattern on those socks, too. Hope you feel better soon.

Beth S. said...

That shade of green is one of my favorites! And it looks so springy and soft! It's a shame about your gauge problems, but maybe that's a good thing, because you will save money by not buying thirty more skeins. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...