Sunday, March 25, 2007

Selbu mitten



Since these pictures were taken this afternoon I have cast off, tried on and tossed away in disgust. I knew the mitten would be quite tight, but I kept telling myself it would be fitted and I would block it a bit wider anyway. But it's too short too :sob:
I knitted a pair of authentic selbu gloves last year, with thin old fashioned wool and authentic colours, but they turned out very big and loose, and I don't really like to wear them. But I love the selbu patterns, so this year I decided to make a more wearable pair. I think I bought 7 balls of the same old fasioned yarn in various colours, but wasn't happy with any of them, and in the end bought some thin Garnstudio alpaca on impulse. And I love those colours and the softness of the alpaca. I liked the three colours together so modernized the cuff to make use of all three. (the blue is a bit off in the photos, it's a bit more lavender irl) The rest is an authentic pattern from the book Selbustrikk by Rauma I love it. I have to rip it. I need my mittens finished by next Saturday (for skiing). I don't have the motivation to start a new pair now.
The good news though is that I know now that 60 stitches alpaca on 2 mm needles is too small for me, so i'm hoping if I use the same yarn and my new and fabulous 1.5 mm dpns I might be able to make the most gorgeous pair of them all for myself, namely the huge 80 stitches man mittens (picture above) on the cover of Selbustrikk (this link shows all the patterns of the book). That pair is the most beautiful and harmonious design of them all, and impossible to downsize in any other way than by using a thinner yarn and thinner needles. I would want to make them in authentic colours though, so it's back to the LYS again!
There is a new book about selbu mittens in English, by the knit blogger Terri. It looks very interesting. Go check it out here!

7 comments:

MagFly said...

Så synd. Du kjenner ingen med mindre hender?

Lacelibrarian said...

I have that Selbu book and I don't in any way speak Norwegian. But I am able to figure it out. Aren't these beautiful designs?
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Så trist med de vakre vottene. Virkelig nydelig fargekombinasjon! Prøver du dem på 2,5 mm? Hilsen Fuglemamma www.fuglemamma.sprayblogg.no

Beth S. said...

I covet that Selbustrikk book. Such incredible designs! I figure that as long as I could read the charts, I could muddle through it... right? ;-)

Sorry this pair didn't work out, but I bet the next pair will!

Kirsten said...

The new pattern is gorgeous! I'm sure it was hard to have to rip out all of that work. The colors are really beautiful together and the new pair will be worth all of the work. I can't wait to see them.

suerowal@optonline.net said...

I knitted the cover pair, they came out fine, although a bit short, I have a problem with rows to inch.
A shame the other ones didn't fit, they look lovely

Inger said...

Jo,-du kjenner da virkelig noen med mindre hender!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...