Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cable Down Raglan



I'm working on the yoke of Stefanie Japel's Cable Down Raglan from the last Interweave Knits. I wasn't really supposed to start anything new now, and particularly not anything brown, but i just wanted to knit a few rows to try the yarn and get the startitis out of the system. But, I got hooked, and know I've knit a fair bit. When I was looking for a link for this post however I stumbled upon a knitalong, and it seems there are some problems with the yoke instructions, so I might have to frog it :sob:

I'm using the new alpaca yarn from Sandnesgarn, which is supposed to knit up at 22 st/10 cm on 4 mm needles. I was thrilled when I realised I could use this yarn, because I have wanted to try it for some time now. Most other alpaca yarns on the Norwegian market are fingering weight, so to find a local DK alpaca yarn was interesting news. So I swatched. And I swatched again. And then I swatched some more. Lessons learnt: Don't trust the ballband. It was entirely possible to get the right gauge, but generally I don't like holes in my knitting unless I'm knitting lace. So I tried to hold it double. I got spot-on gauge on the first try, but I wasn't really going for a thick, felt-like fabric. So I did what I should have done from the start: I looked at the yarn, and I without looking at numbers picked a needle that looked right for me. I swatched, and got an absolutely fabuolously soft but firm fabric, with a gauge that was a bit off. Dug out my old calculator and changed the numbers in the pattern. So easy. This is the way every new project should start, by looking at the fabric and not obsessing so much about gauge.

6 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

its a very elegant sweater. will look lovely. I hope you will not need to from it.

britt said...

Det har du helt ret i - det er garnet, der bestemmer ikke den strikkefasthed, der er i opskriften.
Den trøje er absolut også på min liste - den er sååååååå fin. Tak for linken til KAL'en.
:-) Britt

Beth S. said...

I like the natural warm brown. This should be a very pretty sweater. And quite warm, too!

karen said...

that sweater is fantastic - I want to knit it too!! - I think you picked the perfect yarn for it - the color and texture go perfect with the pattern! Go on! - don't get out of the obsession - I want to see it finished!! :-)

Tora said...

I really liked working with this yarn, although I held it together with another one (while knitting the Droplet hat), as you know. I'd also like to knit something bigger with it. Your project looks promising, krossing fingers for not having to frog too much..

Maj said...

Det blir spennende å se hvordan genseren blir i dette garnet. Jeg har strikket noen skjerf av Sandnes alpakka, og de er kjempemyke. Men de siger endel i vask.
Jeg holder på med cabel down raglan i Garnstudios Cotton viskose
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...