Monday, December 11, 2006

An unexpected project

When Chickpea asked me last week if I would contribute something handmade as a prize in a contest at Attachment Parenting Norway (AP Norge) I just couldn't say no! I am so grateful for having discovered the philosophy of attachment parenting, and the inspiration and challenging ideas I have found at AP Norge are beyond words. I promised to make a red scarf, and decided on the Spiral Scarf from Knitting Nature, as I wanted something a little unusual. The recycled sari silk yarn in my stash came to mind, as many of the AP people are also interested in recycling and environmental issues. And it's nice and Christmassy red!

Notes: The scarf is composed of 15 hexagons that make a spiral shape. I ran out of time, and had to stop at 12, but I don't think the last three tiny hexagons would have made much of a difference. I changed from 1x1 ribbing to stockinette, because the yarn didn't look good in rib stitch. This modification was a BIG mistake, as the stockinette stitch makes the edges curl, and I believe ribbing wouldn't curl like that. I have wetblocked it for 36 hours, but it's not entirely flat. Lovely as it is, I don't think this yarn was the best choice for the pattern. A lighter, more drapy yarn would have been better. It was a really, really quick knit. I had some minor surgery done on my arm that caused two days of knitting discomfort, and then I lost a day to migraines, but I still managed to finish it in five days.

Spec:
Pattern: Spiral Scarf from Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Ekatra wool - sari silk 60-40 blend
Started 3 Desember 2006
Finished 8 December 2006

And completely unrelated, a new photo of Nene. It was taken this morning to document that she is wearing, for the first time!, the cardigan I was knitting when she was born. It took me 18 months to finish and I remember worring that she might outgrow it before it was finished :lol:

12 comments:

Ami said...

The red scarf looks great and Nene's sweater is adorable.

Janette said...

Great scarf, but love Nene's elephant cardigan .. just gorgeous!

Elisabeth Augusta said...

I really like the way the scarf curls! Much more interesting than the original. And what a wonderful choise of yarn - yummy!

b_beusch@hotmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

I agree with Elisabeth - I like the way the scarf curls - it makes it look like autumn leaves.

And the cardigan - beautiful.

Steph said...

Oh, I remember when you had just a few pieces of nene's cardi. It's absolutely adorable, I just love that elephant pattern. Your scarf turned out great, in the book pictures it looked so stiff, but yours looks much cozier.

Poshyarns said...

That scarf is lovely, such a fantastic shade of red. Nene's cardigan is beautiful, it looks perfect on her.

norah said...

I like the st st too - it's fun and modern

Anonymous said...

The scarf is beautiful! I agree with Anne that it looks like a garland of autumn leaves. It looks so great with your black top. And I love the Elephant sweater, Nene looks adorable in it!

gray la gran said...

when i first saw the picture, i wondered why something seemed different ... and then read that it was in stockinette vs. ribbed. i do agree ... it does look like dried autumn leaves, but that if you don't want it to look like that then maybe skip that modification.
it's good to post the good & bad!
the red color is absolutely delicious! i wonder if i have anything in my stash to knock one out as quickly as you?!

Mandy said...

I really love how the scarf turnewd out in stockinette. I think it is more beautiful this way, and when I make one, i'm going to do it this way too! :)

Tora said...

I just love the look of your red scarf! I've almost finished mine (which is white and for a good friend of mine). And you're right; I just had to buy the book. The Knitting Nature patterns are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...