Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Socks, yarn and a gift

I have become addicted to handknit socks during the past six months, but sadly 50% of the collection is turning into rags already, so the Regia socks I finished today are a very welcome addition to my empty little sock drawer. I really like the colours, I love the stripe sequence, I love that the striping obviously benefit most from mindless stockinette stitch, But I do find the yarn very dry and scratchy (and too warm!) compared to the luxurious softness of the Koigu and the Lorna's and the Schaefer Anne I have been using so far in my sock knitting career. I was studying my new socks, saying to myself that if they wear better than the luxury socks, then maybe Regia isn't such a bad choice after all. I could totally give up luxury yarns if it means I get to wear my socks more than three months. That's when the postman knocked on the door. Oh, the irony! He brought me a skein of Schaefer Anne that I ordered from Hipknits weeks ago, and had more or less given up on. Oh, the colours! The softness! The mohair! The merino! The nylon! NYLON! Haha, come to think of it, my daisy socks are holding up just fine, they even survived BF's reckless hot wash. I don't have to knit with scratchy sock yarn ever again when there's Scaefer Anne on the market!

But the good postman had something even more exciting in his other hand: It's a gift from Strikkelise over at Norway Needles! She had a draw among her commenters a while ago which I won, and now she has sent me the most wonderful package. There are two different yarns, and they really make me smile, because they are so different, and yet both are so wonderful! On the left is a natural coloured 1-ply merino, with the lanoline intact, it's like minimalism in yarn! Very soft, very thin, would be perfect for baby clothes, but I'm thinking maybe a scarf or a shawl for myself :-D. I wasn't familiar with Leine Merino , so thank you for aquainting me with a new yarn manufacturer, Strikkelise! I think Baansull and Nøstebarn offer similar yarns, so I'll head over to their sites later for more pattern ideas. The other yarn is an explosion of colours, as far from minimalism as one can get! I think I have already found a pattern for a summer tank top for Nene that calls for Katia Jamaica! And there are needles too: A set of 3 wool needles, I have never seen wool needles before, first I didn't know what they are but I found an explanation, and there was also a very short (30 cm) 2 mm addi circular - perfect for sock and sleeve knitting for a dpn challenged individual like myself. Thank you so much, Strikkelise!! It is such a generous gift, and I loved it all, and I love to try new yarns! I hope I'll have a chance to return the favour some day.

Edited to add: Forgot the FO spec!
Yarn: Regia 4-ply Mini Ringels 5217 Rio Pattern: Regia's standard pattern with grafted toe
Started: 22 June 2006
Finished: 21 November 2006

7 comments:

Cassie said...

I do think that your first sock knitting may have spoiled you forever. ;-) And it was odd to see your Regia socks, because I have the same ones. There are other nylon-blend yarns out there that aren't as scratchy as Regia. Austerman is one.

halaisa said...

Den regia fargen må være den fineste jeg noen gang har sett. HVis det er en trøst så har jeg hørt at Regia har ti års slitasje garanti på garnet sitt. Det kan kanskje veie opp mot at de klør.

Anne said...

hmmm.... I have both Koigu and Lorna's socks that have been washed and worn and washed and worn for *years* that are still going strong. And I'm really hard on my socks, I wear them around without shoes, even outside to take out the trash or get the mail!

Are you possibly not knitting your socks at a tight enough gauge so they are wearing out faster than they should????

brooke said...

Great socks! Love the vibrant colors.

Allyson said...

I recently finished my first pair of socks and I used Lorna's Laces, I LOVE them. Maybe because they are my first pair, maybe because they are super soft and wonderful. I've been to the LYS to check out their sock yarns and none comparted to my soft Lorna's Laces! I've been spoiled after only one pair!

Strikkelise said...

You are so welcome! I'm glad you liked the stuff.

Marie said...

You are making me long to add more sock yarn to my stash! I love the cheery stripes on those Regias and the Schafer Anne is beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...