Sunday, November 12, 2006

More of this and that..

Progress shots of Ofelia. The first 12 centimeters took forever, a "skirt" of 350 stitches in k1p5 ribbing. I have reached the main part of the body, whish has a lot less stitches and k1p3 ribbing. I've been doing it as I watch TV or read blogs and generally focus on something else, so there's been a lot of purl stitches where there should be knit stitches. When I make mistakes like that I cannot resist the impulse to ladder down and fix them, but truth is with this skinny yarn the laddering down loosens up the stitches so much that it looks a lot worse than it would if I didn't bother to fix them in the first place. The solution to this problem is to start concentrating so as to not make any more mistakes I guess.

I was such a good girl when I went to Oslo last week and stayed next door to a yarn shop. All I got was two skeins of this lovely wool-sari silk blend. (I might have bought a bead or two, but that's another story). Guanako turned out to be well worth a visit. They didn't stock the most traditional Norwegian brands at all (except Garnstudio - it's everywhere) but focused on yarns that are a little more unusual here. There were a lot of bulky yarns and lightweight mohair yarns. There was a bit of Rowan and sari silk in the most gorgeous colours. They organise knit nights in cooperation with Norsk Form once a month - I wish I could go! If you're a knitter in Oslo you should check it out!

This is my most recent yarn purchase: Raw silk from www.nostebarn.no to use for reinforcement of heels and toes...






...to make sure this doesn't happen again :sob:

Edited to add: There were some questions in the comments about silk as reinforcement. According to Nøstebarn silk is better option for reinforcement because it won't wear on your sock yarn, as nylon would. I don't know, but I'll give it a try. Daisy mentioned a great tip some time ago, to use leftover Kidsilk Haze for reinforcement, because of its silk content. Great idea, but unfortunately I'm out of KSH leftovers! Anyhow, I believe the point here is that silk is a very strong fiber. How to use reinforcement yarn: I don't know, I figure I'll hold it double with the sock yarn, and hope the neutral colour will blend in nicely.

9 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

I love that blue, it looks so lush. a few purls here and a few knits there make for a much beloved knit item. not worth fixing, unless it is staring at you, but in this pattern- its cool.
what a great idea, raw silk to reinforce toes and heel. I have used in the past nylon thread, but silk sounds more organic. thanks.

Elinor said...

I love the Ofelia!!! What a striking color!

I'm interested in the silk as reinforcement. Why silk? Do you knit it in and carry it in back like on a heel or weave it in?

strikkeforsker said...

Great idea with silk for reinforcement of the toe and heels. I will that trick on the next pair with homespun silk.
I loooove the colour of Ofelia

halaisa said...

For en nydelig farge på Ofelia, jeg gleder med til å se videre fremgang på den.
Synd med sokkene dine.

Anonymous said...

Ser du har funne favorittbutikken min!

jacqueline said...

ofelia may be taking some time - but the colour is stunning and it is going to be absolutely gorgeous when you finish it.

i can't wait to see how she progresses.

Cassie said...

I really like the idea of silk for reinforcing. I use sock yarns with nylon but wish I didn't. I'm going to have to try that. Ofelia is looking lovely!

Anonymous said...

Sogn folkemuseum arrangerer strikkekafé en gang i måneden, det har vært en kjempesuksess (selvom jeg aldri har vært på det selv har jeg hatt veldig lyst å gå, flere ganger. Nå sist var det bilen som skulle på service, et helt annet sted)

karen said...

wonderful looking Ofelia! I'm still lost in the skirt of mine...Thanks for the tip about guanaco!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...