Thursday, October 19, 2006

Socktober Birthday Socks

I've been knitting behind your backs again. Eleven WIPs were abandoned because I wanted to make red pomatomus for my mom's birthday last weekend. And then I didn't make it on time :-( They were finished yesterday. Happy late birthday, mamma!!
She's been active in the comments section lately, constantly reminding me that she wants red socks for Christmas, and I thought it was particularly funny she left a nervous "what about my socks?" comment to my stash sale posts. I bought new yarn for these. it's Lornas Shepherd socks. I really liked how thin and buttery soft it is, and it knit up beautifully, so I'll definitely use it again. But variegated next time. I think I prefer Koigu for solids/semisolids. Lornas seemed a bit faded when it was in the skein, but improved greatly when knit up. It was particularly important to find a thin yarn for these, because my Koigu pomatomus fit my foot perfectly, but my mom has smaller feet so I needed to find a thin yarn so I didn't have to change the pattern. I love the pomatomus patters, it's ingenious, but very time consuming. One other thing I found out is that good old inox metal needles are my favorite for sock knitting. They are nice and smooth, and not so bendy as some needles, so all those fancy bamboo needles and addi were a complete waste of money. I still prefer addi for absolutely everyhing else though.

Now, before I get back to my 11 wips i'm just going to knit a hat or two and a little scarf for Nene.

Oops, just about forgot the specs:

Pattern: Pomatomus, Knitty
Yarn: Lornas Shepherd sock, colourway Bold Red
Needles: 2 mm inox
Started 10 October 2006
Finished 18 October 2006

11 comments:

HPNY Knits said...

they are lovely!

Mama Urchin said...

I really need to figure out sock knitting. These look lovely. I got my package from your de-stashing over the weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Fiiiine var de, og RØDE! Veldig flotte, heldig mamma du har:-)
Hilsen Fuglemamma www.fuglemamma.sprayblog.no

Steph said...

Those are beautiful! Some day I'll make a pair too.

Inger said...

Tusen takk for sokkene. De er kjempefine, og passer helt perfekt ! Hva skal jeg nå finne på,tro,- å ønske meg ??

halaisa said...

Disse sokkene ble bare utrolig lekre!! Jeg må nok få tak i noe lornas laces så snart innskjøpsstoppen er over.....

toneab said...

Virkelig flott sokker i nydelig farge!

castoncastoff said...

Just perfect! I must must make these. Happy Friday.

Poshyarns said...

Those are really fantabulous socks, the colour is brilliant.

Artis-Anne said...

oh they are lovely. I STILL haven't made any socks but do have some Lorna's Laces in my stash; just need more time !!

Supernøtt said...

Fantastisk fine sokker :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...