Thursday, October 05, 2006

Anniversary and startitis

It's 3 years today since I took up knitting again and I went to my LYS to buy yarn for my first project (what a geek I am to remember the exact date! It was the first week of my maternity leave, Nene was born two weeks later, it's too easy to not remember!). Anyway, it's also 2 yrs and 364 days since my second visit to the LYS, 2 yrs and 363 days since third LYS visit and so on. I started four little baby cardis that week, in addition to the one my aunt knitted for me.

This week, looking over my list of future projects and all the lovely yarn, startitis got the better of me again. I cast on most of them, to see the yarn knit up, to get a feel of it, to get the curiosity out of my system. And I feel so much better now!! Better enjoy it while it lasts. I expect to be overwhelmed and losing focus soon, because I really don't do well with more than two projects at the same time. Before I cast on the six new projects, I did finish one and frog two, which gives a net of only three new projects. Right?

Here they are:

Cabled beauties. At the back is the start of the Turbulence U-neck sweater from Knitting Nature. I'm using Duo silk/merino held double. It's a lovely yarn, a bit shiny, and surprisingly bouncy. I was expecting a heavier drape. I'm knitting it in the round, adding a little bit of waist shaping, and probably a bit of length, but hope to keep the relaxed elegance of the original pattern. But I really can't wear such a short and wide design, I'm too, well, short and wide myself! The swatchy looking thing in front is the start of the left front of my budget Celtic from Rowan 40. I'm using Peer Gynt for the solid colour, and Smart (both from SandnesGarn)for the tweedy parts. I'm really happy with my choice. They knit up nicely, and I don't feel that they're second best or I'm making a sacrifice by using them instead of Rowan yarns. I have finished two pattern repeats so far. It took me three evenings to get through the first repeat, and 90 minutes for the second. It's not an easy cable, but the trickiest parts were known to me from the Durrow cable. Still it took some time to get the hang of it, besides there's a little mistake in the chart, that confused me. I figured it out at last, but it took some frogging and new starts. Edited to add: Errata.

So I didn't use the Duo silk for Ofelia like I thought I might. That doesn't mean I'm not knitting Ofelia too! Here she is, 3 centimeters into the 350 stitches (gasp!!) bottom edge which starts with an eyelet row. The rest is 5x1 rib in reversed stockinette stitch. Duo merino in the most gorgeous ocean green, peacock, teal - I don't know what to call this colour, and it's hard to capture in a picture too.

The start of my Hot Tomato sweater. I'm using a pattern from 1000 Sweaters, the yarn is RYC Cashsoft DK. It will be a very simple fitted sweater with a wide scoop neck, three quarter sleeves and knitted piping for embellishment.

Pink stuff for Nene. The light pink is the cabled cardi for Nene which I've blogged about before. It's a Dale Babyull pattern, but I'm using SandnesGarn Lanett instead. Lanett is a bit thinner, and the one I'm using is 2. sorting which I got at the factory outlet, so it could be even thinner. I think it is, because the whole thing looks very small and the cables are tiny. The hot pink is the back of a ribbed sweater, Anika, from Design Club dk, but I'm using 3 ply merino from Bånnsull.

At last, in honor of Socktoberfest, this Regia sock was moved from my UFO list to my WIP list, the needles that Nene pulled out weeks ago were put back in, and I do plan to maybe finish it sometime. Edited to answer: The yarn is Regia 4-ply Mini Ringels 5217 Rio.

10 comments:

KnitYoga said...

Oh my, you have been busy!! Some gorgeous projects there and in such wonderful yarns, too! I nearly always have a lot of projects on the go at any one time. The trouble is with me though, some take a LONG time to get finished as something else is always turning my head! I think you seem to be much more disciplined than I am. LOL

Mama Urchin said...

it looks like you have your hand full for a while! Everything is looking lovely.

strikkeforsker said...

Impressive, but they are all wonderful projects and it is hard to chose ;-)

Steph said...

wow, that's so impressive, it really makes me want to get some new stuff started too. But I get anxiety when I have more than one or two things on the needles. I can't wait to see your version of the Turbulence sweater, I love that book but think that I would make quite a few changes to most of the designs as well.

karen said...

lovely lovely! It's really good to see that I am not the only startitis-stricken knitter around.. it must be something in the air or what??.. Really beautiful Ofelia going on there .- I have a red one exactly the same length now!! The cable projects are wonderful!

Inger said...

Ikke glem nå de sokkene som jeg ønsker meg til jul

Maartje said...

WOW, the color of the socks looks like a bouquet of Flowers.
Can you tell me please, the number of the Regia yarn? Thanks a lot!

Beth S. said...

So much color at your place today. I love it! Especially that tweedy blue swatch--there's nothing quite like a gorgeous cable done in a flecked, tweedy yarn.

You've finished more projects (and more ambitious ones, too!) in three years of knitting than I have managed in the last five, or ten, or however long I've been at it. ;-) It's very impressive!

LivM said...

Hei ! Her var det mye lekkert i produksjon. Jeg har et lite spørsmål. Jeg skal strikke jakken Asymmetrical Cardigan fra samme bok, og er ute etter et noe rimeligere garn enn cashmire. Noen tips, gjerne fra norske nettbutikker pga tollen? (mailadr. livmf@start.no)

Janis said...

Please tell me what the trick to the Celtic cable is. I have ripped out the increase rows like 10 times. What am I doing wrong. I have been knitting all my life and can't figure this one out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...