Monday, October 30, 2006

16 hours on a train

I’m going to Oslo to visit a friend (who lives next door to a very good LYS, so I’ll have to leave all credit cards at home) for a few days. We have no plans except catch up on talking (-> loads of knitting). I decided to take the train because I find trains relaxing, but planes stressful. So, with two eight hour train rides in the week to come, the question is: Do I bring one of my 11 WIPS for the trainride, or do I cast on for a shawl because it’s small, light and can be finished in the course of those 16 hours? And how much knitting do I bring? I don't want to run out. Anyhow, I hope to have something close to an FO to show yb the end of the week.

The only knitting I managed in the past week was a half stockinette sock, that won’t have a mate by the end of October, some invisible progress on Ofelia, and most importantly: Earflaps for Nene's new hat (shown in the previous post). She complained about a pain in her ear the other day, so I cast on for those earflaps immediately. Apparently there is tinnitus too, because she asked me if I too could her the "shhhhh sound" and I could barely contain my laughter (or my tears!) when she put her head to my ear and said “mommy, can you hear that sound? It’s inside my head. You must make it go away now.”

6 comments:

Janet said...

My suggestion is to start a shawl and bring the yarn and needles for a pair of socks. 16 hours of pure knitting sounds wonderful!

Anne said...

Sounds like wonderfull days ahead, good friend, knitting and talking, it will be so nice!
My best wishes for some really good days :-)
Anne from Denmark

Poshyarns said...

Oh a knitting journey sounds lovely, I would go for the shawl, how lovely to have a finished item by the end of the journey and it will feel lovely and comforting as it grows on your lap. Have a lovely trip.

Anne said...

I too would go for the shawl - not least a journey like that totally validates startitis. And oh poor Nene - ((((hugs)))) for her tinnitus - I would have giggled too though.

jacqueline said...

start something new! why not! personally i have to admit that 11 WIP's would strike the fear of god into me.

have a wonderful trip.

KnitYoga said...

Hope Nene's ears are better. That is a funny story, though! LOL Are you seriously telling me that you are going to be right next to a good yarn shop and you're not going to buy anything???????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...