Friday, September 01, 2006

Meet Julia!

At last! It's been a never ending project, but I did finish it at last. And it turned out so much better than I thought it would. The size is just right, and I don't think it's too busy with all that lace. I love love love the colour, but I'm not too crazy about the yarn. I don't like to knit with cotton, so I never knit summer clothes, but i thought I'd give this cotton-cashmere-angora blend a chance. It knits up a lot better than a oure cotton would, but no matter how you look at it, at the end of the day it's still cotton.The cashmere and angora content makes it soft, and it knits up more evenly than a pure cotton, but it has no more memory than a pure cotton, and it tends to loosen up like a pure cotton. And that angora drives me nutty! It gets into my nose and behind my contact lenses and I swear there's little angora pieces stuck to my eye lashes as I write this. Yuck! So I guess my conclusion is that without the cotton and without the angora, this yarn would be perfect! Chartreuse cashmere, mmmm....

I like the simple garter stich neckline, so I include a close up. In the book there's a ribbon across the chest. I haven't decided yet, bu I might omit it. I couldn't find a perfect ribbon in my LYS anyway. There's a photo of the two I did find. One is a bit too light, the other is a bit dark, but ok I guess, but it's velvet, I'm thinking it might be too heavy. We'll see.

I started this sweater back in April, thinking it would be great for our typical Norwegian summer climate. Then I got sidetracked by socks and Knitting Nature, and feeling guilty for not finishing Julia before summer was over. But guess what. A miracle! We've had the most fantastic summer - it's been so sunny and warm I wouldn't have been able to wear it before now anyway!!


Spec

Pattern: Julia from RYC Classic Summer
Yarn: RYC Cashcotton 4-ply, colourway Chartreuse
Started 30 April 2006
Finished 1 September 2006
Modifications: None!

30 comments:

Heather said...

It is absolutely beautiful, well done!

strikkeforsker said...

Absolutely stunning!
Thanks for the evaluation of RYC classic, I hate angora for that reason.

Artis-Anne said...

Oh I just love the colour I have a thing about Chatreuse green . I also love the pattern although I'm with you on the angora and cotton bit. I have a gorgeous angora jumper I never wear as it is too itchy and I have some Debbie Bliss cotton /silk which was supposed to be knitted for summer but I think it wil split like crazy and drop also so its still in the stash !!

Toni said...

Gorgeous and fits you so well!

Maria said...

Wow! Den ser fantastisk ut. Bra jobbat!

Supernøtt said...

Du er fantastisk flink til å strikke, og med en enorm helhet innen mønstervalg, deilig garn og flotte farger. Jeg bøyer meg og spiser litt støv :-D

Lise said...

Utrolig flott genser!

Poshyarns said...

Gosh, it's really beautiful. I've been wanting to knit this for a long time and seeing your completed sweater makes me want to knit it even more. It looks so pretty and elegant.

Interesting comments on the yarn though, I wonder what I could substitute it for? I used DB cotton angora for a cardigan and the shedding is incredible.

jen said...

Beautiful sweater!!! I love that colour. What a great neckline and lace stitching. I think it looks great without the ribbon.

joy said...

That's gorgeous! I've been wanting to knit this too. Shame about the yarn, but I love the idea of this in just cashmere. :)

sandra said...

Amazingly stunning knitting! Love the stitches, coloure and yarn! Keep on knitting!

Janette said...

Oh - absolutely gorgeous knit! I've looked at knitting that pattern, but wasn't too sure about the yarn either. Will have to find a substitute.
It looks wonderful on you - congratulations on finishing it. It was worth the effort.

laptitelili said...

I love that green too! Gorgeous sweater!

Seahorse said...

Gorgeous work! That colour is a favourite of mine too :)

gray la gran said...

wow! your sweater is lovely! it's so feminine ....

karen said...

neverending??! since april?? you gotta be kidding - I think that is FAST! and what does it matter- it is FANTASTIC! I think the fiber looks wonderful - in the picture it doesn't look like cotton at all - I would guess cashmere or wool/silk - never mind - it's amazingly beautiful - the color is heavenly and you look terrific in it!!

Cara said...

So beautiful! I remember seeing that sweater and so wanting to make it. I'm with you on the angora though. I hate any kind of yarn with hair - no what I mean? Still, it looks great and fits fantastic!

Thanks for de-lurking. ;-)

Steph said...

Beautiful! The fit is fabulous!

KnitYoga said...

It's beautiful - gorgeous stitch pattern and the shade is lovely, too. It also seems to fit perfectly! Oh, yes, in pure cashmere - even better! :-)

Hilde said...

fina! nå er jeg ferdig med å skrive jobbsøknader så nå kan vi godt snakke... (har kveldsvakt i resepsjonen, det er tre gjester her)

sabine said...

wonderful! simply wonderful!

vanessa said...

lovely!

Hilde C. said...

Så flotte bilder du har i bloggen din :-) Julia ser kjempefin ut.

Marsha said...

Gorgeous! Nice job!

Kirsten said...

Julia is beautiful! I remember seeing that pattern in the book and loving it! It looks fantastic on you.

Maartje said...

Your knitting is exellent. In Pattern and Color so wonderful!!

Best wishes, Maartje

Krista McCurdy said...

That is so beautiful, it makes me want to make it! I've been eyeing the RYC yarns for a while...

aija said...

Beautiful-- perfect lace and color!

Hilde said...

hei marie! har du sett på bloggen min i det siste? Fikk til det med den grønne stripen nederst, + at jeg skiftet farger på bordne+ nye farger på linkene. Var litt kry av meg selv da.... (hvorfor jeg skriver dette i blogen din istedetfor å sende e-post vet jeg ikke helt. Latskap?)

HPNY Knits said...

this is fantastic! I don't "do" angora, but this looks stunning on you. Chartreuse green is amazing color alone or in a combo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...