Monday, September 25, 2006

The many uses of garter stitch triangles


This could be the start of a really comfy shawl. The yarn is perfect for a shawl, and having cast on 4 stitches I will eventually get a shawl if I just keep going with increasing 4 on every second row.
But I won't. It' s not a shawl.

It's a bikini top!



Nope. Wrong again. It's a sweater!

Riller by Marianne Isager in Tvinni Alpaca. But if you ask me which part of the sweater this is supposed to be, I really couldn't say. The pattern is a bit sketchy, and doesn't have any schematics. But according to the lady in the LYS, you start in a bottom corner and knit for a while and then you knit a sleeve and the rest of the body at the same time, all in one piece. Got it? No, me neither. I'll just keep knitting, and see what happens. I love the yarn and was so intrigued by the construction that I just had to try it.

Beth made a comment to my Claudia sweater about Scandinavian knit designs often featuring unusal hemlines. I mention it here because I suppose you could say the same about this design. I think Beth has a point, especially as Danish designs are concerned. It seems to me that contemporary Danish knit designers draw on the Scandinavian design heritage, with its focus on construction/structure, functionality, high quality but not luxurious materials, simplicity and an absence of embellishment. Contemporary Norwegian knit design, in my opinion, rely more on older Norwegian knitting traditions, with their focus on decor, colour, symbolism.

The last picture is an attempt to capture the softness of the yarn, but you may just see fuzziness. You'll just have to take my word for it. It's a wonderful yarn, very soft, very light, knits up nicely.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That looks a really interesting construction. I am looking forward to seeing it as it progresses. It looks like lovely yarn too.

karen said...

it's amazing and wonderful how the contrasting colors blend into such soft looking harmony! that is going to be one beautiful sweater!!

Kirsten said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It is such interesting construction. The yarn does look really soft in that last photo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...