Wednesday, August 16, 2006

West

I went for a drive the other day, in the region South of here called Jæren. Jæren is a wide, open coastal landscape, very windy, with a high and very often dramatic looking sky above it, and the beaches are fantastic. My main objective was to check out a a yarn shop there, Idestova, but as it turned out I made a day of it. Idestova stocks some yarns that are hard to find in Norway, Noro was one, Karen Noe was another. It was well worth the trip. The staff was enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and the Karen Noe line was very interesting. There was a buttery soft and shiny pure silk yarn, a gorgeous linen yarn, a lovely blend called rustic, and three kinds of handpainted variegated yarns. One was fingering or lighter, but the ones I got was a shetland wool that seems DK or heavier.

In the series "weird things I do for the blog", I decided to drive an extra 10 kilometers to photograph my new beach coloured shetland wool on a local beach, you know, for colour coordination ,and for the opportunity to gaze west into the North Sea toward the Shetland Islands. I'm not sure exactly where they are, but I'm sure they're not far away from here.

It wasn't all beach coloured, but the red yarn looked good with drift wood.

The beach I visited is called Orre, where there is a wild life information centre, which has a very distinct architecture. It's beautiful, completely in harmony with the landscape it's a part of.











9 comments:

Kirsten said...

Beautiful yarn, and beautiful landscape. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

aija said...

Fabulous photos. Thanks for the extra 10km :)

Anne said...

Beautiful beautiful pictures - I love the wild coast.

Anonymous said...

Dette er jo like mye en fotoblog som en strikkeblogg:-) Nydelige bilder du har tatt!!! Hilsen Fuglemamma www.fuglemamma.sprayblogg.no

Mama Urchin said...

Oh, your photos make me want to return to Scandinavia. Lovely yarn too.

Philippa said...

Oh, that is beautiful. And so rare, and nice, to see someone say that about a modern building.

The yarn is great too - I particularly like the red, although the beach-colour is so - well, beach-coloured! It makes me wistful.

Thank you for continuing the 'weird things I do for the blog' series. It makes coming here so rewarding, and your blog so unique.

Beth S. said...

That must have been a splendid day! Norway is so beautiful... I would love to walk on one of those beaches, and then go look up my distant cousins, who I think are mostly in Kristiansand.

The red yarn is particularly stunning. I hadn't heard of Karen Noe before--thanks for bringing her yarns to our attention! :-)

Supernøtt said...

Garnet ser nesten lykkelig ut på stranden. Flotte bilder i bloggen din :D

karen said...

Those pictures are just FANTASTIC! You went to some of my very favourite places in this county - Idestova of course ;)- really wonderful those KN yarns you got - and Orre with Friluftshuset - your pictures really capture the true beauty of nature and clever architecture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...