Saturday, August 12, 2006

Shadow knitting

Knitting books, patterns and leaflets, knitting magazines - they are all are piling up all around me, and I'm constantly adding to the collection, but in 9 out of 10 cases I will probably never knit any of the patterns they contain.
Then there is Shadow Knitting. For some reason I had gotten it into my head that I didn't like Vivian Höxbro's style, so I never really bothered to check it out. But I did take it home from the library one day in May, mostly because there was nothing else there that was remotely interesting. Got home, flipped through it, still not very interested, but hey - what's this? A shawl for me?, a sweater for Nene!, a shawl for this person and a sweater for that person and perhaps a cardi for MIL. I had to buy it immediately, then came the yarn hunt.

Most of the projects in the book are knit with Harrisville New England Shetland, which I believe is unavailable in Europe. Most projects are available as kits, from a Danish website. At first I thought the kits were very expensive, but after I checked out some alternatives, I don't think they are unreasonably priced. My main reason for not buying kits is that in most of the cases I would like to change a colour or two. There is one kit I might buy in the end, there is one sweater I will try with yarn from stash and there is one project I have been obsessing over for a long time now, trying to find a replacement.

The book itself offers suggestions. One is Tweed 300 from Pulsen Design, which Pinnsvindesign stocks. Kate chose Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4 ply for her project, but also suggested Jamieson & Smith's 2-ply. I was also able to find a yarn from Jamieson of Shetland that might work. I'm sure they would be perfect for the job, except they didn't have the colours I wanted, or I couldn't see them properly on the screen, or I didn't want to speak English on the phone (ref. previous post).

It occurred to me that Isager's Tvinni might be suitable, but never got around to check it before my holidays. When I asked about it at Den Blaa Dør (see previous post), the shop attendant said very simply, "of course, you can. We use Tvinni all the time for the Höxbro patterns."

You do?

Conveniently ignoring the fact that she was probably referring to Höxbro's previous book, I ran to the shelf and grabbed some hanks. I never checked weight, gauge or yardage, or the colours on my shade card for that matter. I think they will be perfect for the shawl called Wings 3.

My intuition tells me so. And my finger tips told me so, when I touched the yarn.

Bånsull stocks a merino that comes from the same spinning mill as the Isager yarns. I bought three hanks earlier this year, thinking that the lovely bluebell, the grassy green and the bright pink would be great for something for Nene (2). I think I might use them for a Shadow knit sweater.


Edited to answer question from castoncastoff: As far as I know there are two books by Vivian Höxbro available in English: Domino Knitting and Shadow Knitting, both published by Interweave Press.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Lovely colours, I look forward to seeing what you make from the Shadow Knitting book, I have it but haven't knitted anything yet. You have inspired me to go and have another look.

Hilde said...

dette sjalet var bare nydelig
jeg ønsker meg det til seksti års dagen
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7036/1247/1600/81_m[1].0.jpg
sitter i resepsjonen nå dvs er på jobb men hadde tenkt å ringe deg. Det er en veldig rolig kveld

Kate said...

So what are you going to make from "Skygge Strikk"? Enquiring minds, and all that. I thought about a shawl from that book but lace is what I love, so it had to be something with more "action". The Kimono Jacket is about three-quarters done. I'm hoping it will be done-done in time for the cold weather.

castoncastoff said...

i really enjoyed looking at vivian's website......another designer to share with my mum! Thanks. Do they publish any of her books in english?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...