Friday, August 11, 2006

no more shopping in the dark

Online yarn shopping can be a bit like shopping in a candle lit LYS at dusk.I'm tired of stashing up on yarns that weren't quite what i thought they would be, so I have invested in shade cards, any that i could find. It cost bit, but I'm sure it will pay off in the long run. I've got Rowan, RYC, Hifa (with a 20 cm yarn sample for each colour - brilliant!), the Isager yarns and Jamieson of Shetland. I really wanted to get the Jamieson & Smith shade card too, but their online shop isn't very up to date. You can't just press the Buy-button and give your credit card info. I understand from Kate that you have to actually phone them and talk to people who speak with a Scottish accent. That's a pretty daunting task for my Norwegian ears! so I'm just going to sit back and wait for them to improve their website instead.

I made an interesting discovery. After I had spent an inordinate amount of time selecting some Tvinni colors from my new shade card, and was planning to order them online, I came across a shop (a real life shop!) that stocked them. I went straight to the shelf and picked my colours very quickly, almost by intuition. Later, when I sat down to compare the actual hanks with the shade card it turned out that I had not picked the same shades in RL as on the shade card. It was a bit like comparing those little squares of paint samples with the same paint applied to a wall.

Thanks for pointing me to Den Blaa Dør, Karen! It is a fantastic arts & crafts shop in Kristiansand, that also stocks Isager yarns, Amimono kits and knitting books (below is a photo of the non-yarn goodies I got). Now Karen has found new shops, and I'm green with envy! I went to Denmark too this summer, but returned with no yarn, only to find out later that I been only a very short drive from Isager's own shop in Northern Jutland. We're hoping to have a bike vacation in Denmark next summer, and I'm telling you I won't miss out on those yarn shops again!

7 comments:

KnitYoga said...

Great idea about the shade cards but, as you say, they do have their limitations. Nothing beats seeing the real thing in the shop! Glad you're able to get some photos now. Me, I'm still struggling.

Toni said...

Does Schoolhouse Press still carry the Jamieson shadecards? I think that's where I got mine.

strikkeforsker said...

ROFL and very true, great idea with the shade cards.
I am sure we can help you create a Tour de Danish Yarn Shops and Spinneries next year ;-)

karen said...

yes - isn't den blaa dør great?! there is also another yarn shop in kr. sand - near "Vergelandsparken" if I remember right - selling DUO yarn (design club dk) - which is really the same as the isager-yarns - from the same spinnery - only slightly different colorways..
you really got some great isager-stuff and I love the cups too!
and about the jamieson & smith - have you tried the http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/
- it should be easier to order the J&S from there!

Maria said...

Jag har beställt från Jamieson and Smith och det fungerar aldeles utmärkt att beställa via mail! Jag behövde inte alls ringa och prata engelska som jag inte gillar över telefonen. De har superbra service och jag rekommenderar dem varmt. Prova!

Alison said...

Jamieson and Smith - email them! They do all their orders through email, are very friendly, and efficient, and the shade card is well worth it.

Beth S. said...

That's a brilliant idea, ordering shade cards. Especially when the yarn is hard to find locally.

It seems that you are up to all kinds of exciting things lately!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...