Monday, August 28, 2006

Isager

I spent the weekend with family in Southern Norway, and got a lot of knitting done, and little bit of shopping too. I knew there would be a lot of sitting in the sofa and talking, so I would need an easy stockinette project. I cast on the sweater "En kort og en lang" on the train, and made good progress during the weekend. It's an Isager kit, and the yarn is Isager Tvinni. It makes a very light and surprisingly soft fabric, because the yarn itself feels a bit scratchy. I bought the kit this winter, or was it last fall?, and was pretty disgusted when Knitty published the Tubey pattern a couple of weeks later, because the construction is quite similar. Or the idea. I started the front, which starts with short row shaping to make it dip down in front. The front is stockinette, but the back and sleeves are ribbed.

When I arrived in Kristiansand, I met up with my aunt and we headed straight for the yarn shops. I have enough projects lined up already, so I was only looking for a yarn that would be suitable for a little something I had planned to knit for my aunt. First I tried to look at things behind her back, but that didn't work well, so I decided to be honest and just ask her what colours she liked best. We settled for a skein of greenish blue Tvinni alpaca, very soft, very light, and the colour matched her eyes perfectly. (it's a bit off in the photo, I hope to get a better picture when I start knitting). I was thinking it would be great for the Swallowtail shawl, but she found a pattern for a triangular shawl she liked, and I was thinking "yes, yes, Christmas present". But then she insisted on paying for it, and she also insisted on paying for the yarn I was buying for myself, so now I have a commission, but no Christmas present, so this did not go according to plan!

For myself I got the same gorgeous alpaca in a light brown and a bluish grey to make the Isager sweater called Riller. The photo below does not do it justice at all, but was the only one I could find on the internet. This is another fine example of the magic that happens in a real shop as opposed to a cyber shop. I have seen this picture before, but thought nothing of it. It's a Tvinni wool design, but Den Blaa Dør (my favorite shop) had it knitted up in alpaca, and they had knitted several swatches showing different color combinations, different stripes, different yarns, and a garter stitch one too. Seeing those swatches, and choosing colours from a wall of yarn rather than a shade card, being able to touch the yarn, seeing the sweater knit up, discussing the project with a knowledgeable person - oh, I just want to cry!! This opportunity alone is worth a three hour train ride!

I made good progress on the Julia sleeve on the train, and I bought some yarn at Karmin too, for some other projects I plan, but that's for another day. Today it's all about Tvinni and Marianne Isager, this year's favorite Dane at Marie Fly Fly.

9 comments:

karen said...

sounds like a wonderful weekend! i agree - a three-hour train ride is nothing if it brings you to places like that! really wonderful stuff you got - i am very curious to see how that alpaca knits up, Riller is beautiful! So - when do we open the MUCH needed yarnshop in this town?! ;)

Artis-Anne said...

I so agree it is so much nicer to see and touch yarns. I do most of my yarn shopping online and it isn't the same. Love your projects; I have some blue alpaca in my stash still awaiting a project; I keep changing my mind as I want to get it right !! Thanks for the post on my blog; I had heard that the exhibition had been to Norway somewhere ,amazing that it was near you also ! We truly found it awesome

strikkeforsker said...

What a great weekend you had. It is much better to spend the time in the yarn shop touching the yarn and playing with colours.
For some strange reason, my stash also contains tvinni and the pattern for en kort en lang hmmmm.

Inger said...

Jeg ønsker meg et par røde sokker til jul

Kirsten said...

I agree that there is nothing like the yarn store experience. I was in Purl in Soho, NYC this evening. (A particularly lovely store.) The experience of touching the yarn and seeing all of those colors in one place was so inspiring.

Too bad about your Aunt's Christmas gift. That must be so frustrating.

Poshyarns said...

The sweater pattern looks beautiful even if it is a little similar to Tubey and that yarn looks gorgeous, really soft and light and such lovely colours.

jacqueline said...

whilst visiting kris (strikker) in bergen last month, i got to touch and feel the isager yarns at pinnsvin design. oh my, if it wasn't for my fear of getting hit for excess luggage i would have purchased so much more than i actually did. i only wish they stocked it in australia

Seahorse said...

Oh! Such beautiful yarns and patterns! The yarn shops sounds superb.

KnitYoga said...

The patterns you're planning look lovely. Are the Isager ones from Marianne Isager's book - Inspired Sweater Designs? Sounds like you had a wonderful break and that yarn shop sounds like a dream come true!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...