Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Knitting nature, seeing nature



A quick (but picture heavy) post, as I stop by my house for a few hours in between holiday trips. (leaving again tomorrow). I have spent three weeks on the Norwegian South Coast, and in knitting news finished my Cabled Spiral Sweater and one pomatomus sock, (and acquired some new yarn). The pictures of the sweater were taken on a beach, at night, after a very hot day, so completely wrong for wearing a cashmere turtleneck sweater. Oh, the things we do for the Blog!

Spec
Pattern: Cabled Spiral Pullover, Norah Gaughan/Knitting Nature.
Yarn: 100 % cashmere from Pinnsvindesign
Started 22 June 2006
Finished 19 July 2006

Modifications: The cabled yoke is knitted exactly according to the instructions, but I replaced the body with a fitted body (number 7) from 1000 Sweaters by Amanda Griffiths. The hemmed edgings are a modification too. And I knitted it in the round, if that counts as a modification?

Notes: I am happy to report that I found no mistakes in the pattern!

I really like the body pattern from 1000 Sweaters too. It places the decreases and increases 25% toward the middle from the , which I think works really well.

The back of the body in the original pattern is 5 cm longer than the front. I decided to do the same, despite using a different body pattern, and am glad I did. It looks a bit more professional this way!

Edited to answer Kris' question: Pinnsvindesign estimates 400 grams for a ladies sweater. There is 57 grams in one hank. I used appr. 305 grams for the petite size.

(this means I have a lot of leftover yarn, appr. 130 grams, that needs to be put to good use. I'm thinking a scarf, or join a one skein swap, or perhaps I should give it away in a blog contest, still undecided. Any ideas?)

Knitting Nature is a wonderful book. I'm sure I'll knit more of the patterns in the future, probably the Hex Coat, and the Droplet Hat. I have read the science parts and studied the nature photos too, they're all so inspiring, and I find they encourage me to take a closer look at the nature around me.
Here are some shots of beautiful things I saw in nature these past weeks.


28 comments:

Anne-Caroline said...

That sweater is amazing and beautiful. I think it looks great on you, too. Awesome!

Toni said...

Beautiful! It fits incredibly well--good job!

Heather said...

The pullover looks lovely, the shaped body really makes it look smart and it fits incredibly well.
I love all your nature pictures too. I hope you have a lovely next holiday.

Marianne said...

Beautiful sweater! What a job you've done with it.

Virtuella said...

Den var kjempenydelig! Og sitter på deg som et skudd!
*imponert*

nunnun said...

For et praktstykke! Nydelig!

AnnetteK said...

Det er den fineste genseren jeg har sett på lenge!! Rett og slett nydelig!!

kris said...

holy crap! it is gorgeous! wow! i need that book NOW. and in pinnsvin's cashmere - drool! how much yarn did you use?

Janette said...

Marie, it's fabulous and really suits you too.

Maria said...

Den tröjan ser fantastisk ut på dig! Mycket bra jobbat.

Kelly said...

Congratulations, that sweater is gorgeous, the color is perfect and so is the fit.

aija said...

Beautiful sweater, incredibly flattering.

Beth S. said...

Good to see you again! And I can hardly believe how beautiful that cashmere turtleneck is. It must be soft as a cloud, too. :-)

Steph said...

Wow, that sweater looks so perfect and beautiful! I really love the hemmed edges on it, it's such a professional looking finish.

karen said...

it's simply stunning!! fantastic! beautiful pictures!

KnitYoga said...

The sweater is beautiful and you've obviously put so much thought and care into it with all those modifications. I had that book on my wishlist but now I MUST have it. You're a very good enabler! LOL The photos too are wonderful and inspiring.

Daisy said...

Wow, it really suits you and fits very well. Beautiful!

Bente B said...

Jeg finner nesten ikke ord..... den er jo helt perfekt! Et av de fineste mønstrene i boken (har boken jeg også). Og garnet må jo være en drøm!
Bildene er bare lekre!

Joni said...

I wanted to let you know that I just e-mailed you a copy of the ring code from the RingSurf admin. site. You’re listed as a member of the Fiber Arts Bloggers webring, but your blog is in the queue at the moment as you haven’t the ring code up on your blog. If you want to e-mail me when you have the ring code back up and whatnot, I’ll check it out and get you back into the ring as quickly as I can. Let me know if you need any help! :)

Supernøtt said...

Fantastisk flott genser :-D Nydelig garnvalg, også.

Philippa said...

What a beautiful post! (The sweater's pretty nice too.... :) )

Honestly, I really am breathtaken by your beautiful sweater. The luxurious yarn shows off the cabled yoke wonderfully, and the body fits you perfectly. Thank you very much indeed for your tips on modifications, and the idea of making the sweater longer in the back than front. This isn't something I had thought of before, and makes entire sense. I have owned 1000 Sweaters for a while now and haven't been inspired, but now I think I am!

Obviously, I think you should give the yarn away in a contest. :) A scarf sounds good, too.

Jennifer said...

That is one of my favorite sweaters from the book. You did an amazing job.

Kirsten said...

Your sweater is beautiful! What a great idea to use a fitted body. It looks great on you.

This is my first time visiting your blog. I really enjoyed it. I'll definatly be back! :)

Lena said...

Fantastisk flott genser!! Herlig mønster og farge:-) Og så nydelige naturbilder da....

Ingrid said...

Den ble veldig flott! Gratulerer med arbeidet:-) Jeg likte naturbildene dine også, veldig inspirerende!

HPNY Knits said...

gorgeous sweater and fantastic nature photos! thanks for sharing them

Karen said...

The sweater is fabulous and the nature photos are astonishing and inspiring. I had the book from my local library - loved the science and the photos but found most of the patterns to be too outrageous to consider for someone my size (not model thin, that's for sure). Will you be creating from your photos as well?
Karen

gray la gran said...

oh my goose-eggs! that's what a friend of mine would exclaim ....
i love your nature pictures ... there are some equally amazing natural bizarre things in the american southwest. i took a roadtrip one summer, years ago with a friend, and i remember "potholes" in one park ... the places that dip in the rock, full of minerals and life ... in the rainey season ...
.... oh! so beautiful! .... the things that grow briefly ......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...