Sunday, June 04, 2006

Apple Blossom Sweater

My wip list is now down to two as I finished Nenne's Apple Blossom Sweater tonight. I think it's a cute pattern and a cute colour for a little girl. The pattern is called Rainbow, and I found it in my mother's knitting basket. I remember she knitted this sweater for me in the late seventies, and I loved it. It's a very simple garter stitch sweater, knit sideways in one piece. It was designed for a completely different yarn, and the stripes were obviously an importatn design element, so I have completely ruined it of course. But I really like the simple construction with the garter stitch, and I think the yarn asked for garter stitch. So there.

BUT. As I hastened to finish it I made some stupid mistakes, recorded here so I can learn from them:

- garter stitch and reverse stockinette do not look the same! When I got to the waist band I was running out of yarn (and patience), and decided to knit it reverse stockinette rather than garter stitch. Stupid. It doesn't look the same at all.
- my gauge always loosens as a project moves forward. When knitting with such a heavy yarn that can make a big difference. Both sleeves are exactly 41 rows long. But they're not the same length :sob:
- the neck line increases do not look nice with this yarn. Should have given more thought to what increases look best with a heavy yarn.

Spec
Apple Blossom Sweater
Pattern: Rainbow from Sandnes Kamgarn Spinneri
Yarn: SandnesGarn Mandarin Fiesta, colour 4403
Started: 12 May 2006
Finished: 4 June 2006

5 comments:

KnitYoga said...

Despite all the faults that you say the sweater has, it looks beautiful and your new Birch is lovely, too. I think knitting it in black makes it so versatile.

Anonymous said...

registreringsprossesen i hobbyforum gjør at jeg ikke fikk svart deg der, derfor legger jeg en kommentar her på siden din. Dronningsjal finner du her på denne siden: http://www.kristianevev.no/Produkter/StofferOgSjal.htm
Jeg googlet på dronning-sjal, noe mønster fant jeg derimot ikke.

Marie said...

Takk for tipset! Jeg fant oppskriften på dronningssjalet til slutt. Det ligger bilde i 2005-galleriet mitt.

Beth S. said...

You've been busy! The apple blossom sweater is heartbreakingly sweet. :-) And congratulations on Birch number three! I wonder if that's a record... just one of them takes so long to knit, I don't know where you found the stamina to make three.

Dipsy D. said...

I really love that sweater you did, it looks so cute - and even though you mentioned these little errors, I couldn't detect them, so they're obviously not to be seen! Fantastic work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...