Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My first sock!

I think I get it now. Warm and sunny days in the garden, and nothing but a little sock on the needles - perfect.

For my first sock I chose Embossed Leaves from IK Winter 2005. The yarn is Koigu KPPPM in colourway 604. I have a vision of this pattern in various colours of real leaves - first this Autumn foliage colour and I'm secretly hoping for enough leftovers from my green Juli sweater to make a matching pair of Embossed Leaves socks.

The pattern says cast on 64 stitches with 2.75 mm needles, which got me in instant trouble (I used 2.5 mm). The cuff was too tight, and the leg was too wide - so it went straight to the frog pond. For the next attempt I cast on 72 stitches with the same 2.5 mm for the cuff, and it fits much better. For the leg I changed to 2 mm needles (realising of course that using bigger needles and more stitches for ribbing is a bit unconventional, but what can you do?), which was just right - the lace looked sloppy with 2.5 mm, but nice and crisp with 2 mm. I decreased to 64 stitches in the garter stitch sections between the lace panels over the first 16 row pattern repeat. Hopefully the decreases will add a bit of shape too.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

The pattern looks fab, and I'm very impressed that the yarn I've just dyed appears to be just the same colour as the yarn you're using!

Steph said...

So lovely! You'll be hooked in no time, then make room for all that sockyarn you'll aquire ;-)

KnitYoga said...

What a gorgeous first sock! "Warm and sunny days in the garden and nothing but a sock on the needles". Ah, Zen knitting! The embossed leaves is such a lovely pattern and the autumn foliage is the perfect colourway for it.

karen said...

congratulations - that is one lovely first sock!! And I love your mumi-cup!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...