Monday, April 17, 2006

What would you do?

if you accidentally felted your favorite clapotis, Falkenberg cardigan and alpaca sweater - what would you do?? Get drunk, go to bed weeping, knock your head against the wall, buy more yarn,or try to repair the damage??

Actually, Mermaid seems to have survived my recklessness, the fabric is a tiny bit denser, but it's ok, and this is why I don't cry yet.

The alpaca sweater? Never liked it much anyway. I always found the fabric too loose - this may actually have helped - haha.

But clapotis - although is hasn't shrunk (it is definitely possible to block it back to its original size), the fabric is quite (but not hopelessly) compact and heavy, and it has lost its silky shine. Is it worth the time & effort to try and stretch it, shake it, block it and force the slipped stitches apart to try and soften and loosen the fabric, or am I wasting my time??

Edited to add: Thank you for your sympathy and advice!! I'll definitely try out the different methods. But simmering in vinegar sounds really scary!!, so I thing I'll try hair conditioner first. Full report to follow when I get back from Denmark.

If it can't be salvaged, I have already decided to make a new one, because I have worn it five times a week this winter - it's a scarf, a shawl, a blanket and it covers your head if you forgot to bring a hat - a must have for next winter too.

11 comments:

Julie said...

Ohhh! I'm sorry! I don't have any advice, but I wanted to let you know that I feel your pain!

strikkeforsker said...

I am sorry :-( I would probably get really mad, then try and see what could be saved.
Clapotis: You have nothing to loose, if you are unhappy with and would never, ever use it again in its current condition.

Ulla

Steph said...

Poor thing! Just give the clapotis a try, soak it shortly in cold water, let a towel absorb some and block it. Maybe it'll come back to life.

Jessica said...

I've heard gently simmering in half vinegar/half water can undo felting accidents. I haven't tried it personally though.

Bente B said...

Å, stakkars deg!!! Hva jeg ville gjort???? Jeg ville gjort "all of the above", alle tingene du nevnte!!! Og gradvis ville smerten forsvinne..... Men du, helt ærlig, var det DU som kastet alt dette i maskinen eller var det en annen "hjelpsom" person i din husholdning.....?? *fnis

Joan said...

I have had some luck with soaking a felted garment in hair conditioner for a while, rinse the then block right away. Worth a try. I feel for you but have done a few myself and could have smacked myself.

Anne said...

Owwwwww!!! Thank goodness Mermaid is OK! I would simply decide that you need a new one, choose some delicious yarn (preferably something you've been eyeing up for some time) and get started. You're never going to be happy with the other one now. (And then play with all the rescue methods suggested - you've nothing to lose.)

MagFly said...

*stoor klem*

Det der var ikkje heilt hyggeleg. Balsam-trikset skal vere bra, så det kan jo hjelpe litt. Den alpakka-tingen trur eg kan gjennoppstå som ganske fin vårveske :-)

karenchri said...

Oh no!! My deepest sympathy! I have sort of experienced the same thing with my clapotis - even after washing it very gently. Is it meant for dry clean only?! Can't be, I couldn't live with that! So I think I'll also try the contitioner tip - let's hear how you're doing!!

KnitYoga said...

Sympathy sent your way. I would just make another Clapotis because I doubt if you'll ever be happy with that one again even if your rescue attempts have some success. Just think, it's the perfect excuse to make another clapotis in the most yummy yarn you can find and you may end up liking it even better than the original. Really glad to hear that your Mermaid got away lightly.

Beth S. said...

If I had knitted Mermaid, and then it was ruined beyond all hope, I think I would have to throw myself off a bridge. Thank goodness yours wasn't too badly affected!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...