Friday, April 21, 2006

Purple and green

I love the purples and greens of my latest acquisitions: Rowan's Cashcotton in the chartreuse colourway and Noro Silk Garden 34 arrived earlier this week. The purple laceweight mohair is from Handler in Copenhagen. I had a great time in Copenhagen, but it was a business trip and work cut severely into my shopping time! When I finally made it to the shopping area, my first priority was something for my daughter. My second priority was Handler, which is an unusual yarn shop. They had the most gorgeous yarns - linen, mohair, merino, cashmere, silk - that were all unlabeled and sold by weight. The colour range seemed rather limited, but there was a sale, so maybe they were just sold out. Most colours were natural greens, browns, beiges, warm reds. But I am not much of a yarn shopper (yes, REALLY), in the sense that if I don't have a specific project in mind, I tend to get completely paralysed when faced with a great yarn selection and end up buying nothing (and then smacking my head for it when I get home). So I am very happy with my modest purchase of 61 grams of purple kid mohair that I have no plans for!

I also visited Uldstedet where I finally got to see Falkenberg designs knit up, and also a wide selection of Isager and Rowan yarns that I have longed to see in person. At Strikkeboden I got the chance to see and feel Noro and Colinette yarns. As I have to do most of my yarn shopping online, being able to touch the yarns and study the colourways in person was invaluable.

In any case I discovered that looking for yarn shops was a great way to explore a city, because it took me through lovely narrow side streets with more interesting shops and cafes than the main street.

I didn't bring the Shoalwater shawl on the trip, because it's too big and heavy now (see progress pic). I have a half pattern repeat left to go, and hope to finish it this weekend. My new portable project is (my third) Birch, garter stitch this time. I love this design, and have worn my green Birch a lot, so this is more about the product than the process. I managed to finish one repeat on each flight, and that's all the knitting I have done this week.

8 comments:

MagFly said...

Ehhh... den bamsetingen... Fekk du laga eigen bamse? Eg skal til Kjøbenhavn om to veker og har ein bamsoman i heimen. Dyrt? Det såg morosamt ut.

Marie said...

Selve bamsen kostet DKK 179, og så kunne du kjøpe så mye eller lite klær og utstyr som du ønsket, og evt. også legge inn lyd i bamsen. Og så måtte du være med å fylle den, og kunne bestemme selv hvor myk eller hard den skulle være. Barn som var med selv fikk trykke på knappene til fjær-fylle-maskinen.

Terhi said...

Great! I'm flying to Copenhagen for a few days next week, and now I know where to go. :-) Thank you, Marie! (Which one of these shops was your favourite – in case I have time to go in one place only?)

Marie said...

I think maybe I would go to Handler first, because their yarns aren't easily available online; and they have a sale! But Uldstedet had the greatest selection - rowan, falkenberg, isager, madil. ANd Uldstedet and Strikkeboden were practically next door to each other, so on second thought i might go there first. You should also google to see if you can find Sommerfuglen.

MagFly said...

Hmmm, takk... det her må eg sjå på! Sikkert like morosamt for mamma som for han bamseguten på to.

Steph said...

mmh, the yarn, it's all so pretty. But the picture of Nene, she is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Nydelig garn, nydelige farger, herlig bamse-med-barn (eller var det omvendt?)! Gleder meg veldig til å se Shoalwater ferdig, jeg har vurdert det sjalet selv, men skjønner ikke helt om det er trekantet eller firkantet? Lykke til med din tredje Birch, det er imponerende!!! Og takk for hilsen i bloggen. Hilsen Fuglemamma:-)

karen said...

lucky you who got to go to handler - I read on their web-site that they are closing down the yarn-section and hence the sale - arrgh- I'm going to copenhagen at the end of may - guess it's all gone by then... anyway - lovely color on that noro! - what are you making? - and the shoalwater is looking magnificent!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...