Monday, April 10, 2006

Classic designs

Mmm, it's been my favorite kind of afternoon - got home early from work, there was a new RYC book in the mailbox, coffee, planning new projects, perhaps a little yarnshop browsing....

I got RYC Classic Summer in the mail today, and dug out RYC Classic Garden from last Spring, to compare and see if I still like the things I liked last year.
The green Julia sweater was my main reason for buying the new book. But when I have the two books side by side, I see the Fern sweater from last year in a new (green!!) light. Wouldn't it look fantastic in the Chartreuse colourway of the Julia? (they are both designed for Cashcotton 4 ply).

The Garden cardigan is a Cashsoft pattern I was obsessing over last year, but didn't like any of the available colours. I still like the design, and I don't think it's too advanced for me anymore, and if I could accept knitting it in cotton the chartreuse colourway of the Cashcotton might be just the colour I was looking for. That remains to be seen. I have ordered 9 balls of green cotton for Julia or Fern, but the Garden cardi requires 20 balls. Not knowing if I will like knitting with cotton at all, and unsure about the exact nuance, I thought 20 balls was too much of a risk.

Sebastian is a classic aran, which is something I have wanted for years, and seems to be better fitting than some arans I have seen. I'm saving it in the department of long term plans.



5 comments:

Beth S. said...

Such good taste you have! I agree, that lacy pullover would look stunning in chartreuse. Of course, I think just about anything looks better when it's chartreuse. ;-)

The long cardigan looks like it would require plenty of stamina. And about thirty skeins of yarn!

karen said...

is it something in the air or what? I am getting totally absorbed in photos of aran and lace knits lately - thankyou, thankyou for the additional tempting.. - and visiting pinnsivin last weekend I forcefully restrained myself from getting all the books with the letters RYC on them. Looks like a wonderful afternoon you had - wonderful projects ....sigh....dream...

Daisy said...

That chartreuse colourway is gorgeous. I know what you mean about the thought of getting 20 balls of something though. Maybe that's why socks feel safer as it's not such a big outlay? (well, depending on which sock yarn you choose!)

Steph said...

The Julia sweater is the only thing I really liked in that book, that's why I haven't bought it yet. But all three projects would look lovely in chartreuse. Though the shaping of that long cardi worries me a little, there seems to be not enough of it.

Carolemc said...

Hi,

Loved looking at your blog - what an inspiration. I was particularly interested in your comments on the RYC Classic Garden book as I bought this for the Ruffle Cardigan pattern but later sold the book on. Now I would love to knit the caridgan....don't suppose you would be willing to photocopy the pattern for me? I'll gladly pay the postage.

Carolex

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...