Saturday, April 08, 2006

Biting my nails

I got some money for my birthday last week, to buy something for myself. You know where this is going, don't you?

Of course you do. Koigu, Noro, books.

As always these things are only available for me through online shops. I hate that I have to buy yarn unseen, but there is no decent LYS around, and local bookstores only have a very limited selection of knitting books, so what can you do?

I bought some red Koigu (well, actually it's a little more than "some" - it's enough for a sweater). I am biting my nails now, desperately hoping the two hours I spent looking at different pictures in different blogs and different shops gave a correct impression of the colour. But there's a big risk of course that it's too warm or too cold or too bright or too orange, or just plain too wrong. I also ordered some Noro Silk Garden in colourway 34, which I believe is discontinued. A lesson I have learnt about Noro is that it is very difficult to judge from photos, so this is a nerve wrecking purchase too. But I don't worry too much, because I have been happy with it in the past. I also ordered 2 books, and from a German website a bag. I'm sure the bag is nice, but shopping online in a language you don't really know, well, that's dangerous living...

Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Yes, but it's birthday money, so it's fun to live life on the edge :-)

I bought some yarn (no, I didn't, of course I didn't - I don't do that sort of thing any more, I'm on a strict yarn diet... - it was for a present) from a German website today - I _think_ I ordered the right stuff - I love online translators...

Steph said...

Happy belated Birthday!
I'm not sure if this is any consolation, but I haven't come across a Koigu color I thought was terrible, except for a mustard color or anything yellow ;-) But their reds and pinks are usually very pretty. And Noro 34 is gorgeous too!

Daisy said...

I'm sure it'll be fine and imagine the fun of opening the parcels! I've only once bought Noro at an LYS (for my Smith socks) and it was crucial that time as I needed to match it to some other yarn. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as you, browsing different pictures and hoping my monitor gives a reasonably accurate impression!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...