Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Olympic challenge

I have been debating with myself whether or not I should sign up for the Yarn Harlot's Olympic challenge. I really want to join, especially after Strikkelise made available a cute Team Norway button...

But what would be a challenge? Something big? Something complicated? Something new? Something impossible? Lace? Fair Isle? At the very least it should be an intermediate lace shawl, or a traditional Norwegian sweater.

This is where I stand today:
I already knit too much. I am a full time working mother who manages to average 3 hours of knitting a day. I am obsessed with knitting. It's not healthy. I am constantly looking for opportunities to knit. Every alternative activity is seen as something that cuts into my knitting time.

There is nothing I could do for an Olympic challenge that I don't already do every day This is the biggest challenge I could give myself:

1. To knit nothing at all for 16 days.

I was a smoker for many years. I recognize the panic I feel at the thought of no knitting for two full weeks. That feeling of not being in control of yourself is what I hated most about smoking, and it was my single most important reason for quitting. I don't want it in my life, whether it's about smoking or knitting or whatever else.

But let's get real. This isn't about dangerous stuff like smoking. Knitting is after all a harmless affair, there's no need to quit. So here's an alternative challenge:

Slow down. Go back to where I started two years ago. Find a small project. Do it slowly, but perfectly. Make it a small thing of beauty. I am thinking about the hat in the picture below. It's the very same cardigan that I frogged (yes, I did) a few weeks ago, but I still like that rose border, and the hat could be a perfect little project to practise perfection in even stitches and even tension. These are things I normally don't do well because I always choose to knit big things at a high speed.
So my other option for an Olympic challenge would be to make this
2. small thing at a low speed.

I guess this is all contrary to the Olympic idea of higher, faster, stronger or whatever it is, so I might just join the Eddie Along/Enjoy the process instead.

Update: I have joined the Eddie Along, and will knit the hat. It is possible to do both KALs, but I am still undecided about the Knitting Olympics (mainly because the amount of stitches involved seems too low to qualify as a real challenge).

9 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Marie (love the new blog name by the way - I'm thinking about a whole overhaul of mine sometime soon - which will include a name change too - after all, mine couldn't really be more boring!).

I sometimes fantasise about not knitting for a week or so, but I'm scared that that would be it and I'd never pick it up again. The "something small and perfect" idea sounds wonderful though. Mind you, I've already committed to making 2 baby jumpers, so maybe next time...

Tracy said...

I'm an Eddie alonger....I was getting a nervous twitch about doing the Olympics!

margene said...

It's wonderful to know you enjoy the process and will have some fun with your knitting while watching the Olympics. Thank you for stopping by my place;-)

Kim said...

My eyes got huge when I read "Knit nothing at all for 16 days"!!! I couldn't do it... but it sounds like for you, that really would be a challange. I'm mentally debating the olympics too.. sounds fun.. but eh.. I dunno.

Heather said...

The Eddie-along sounds a fantastic idea, and the hat you have chosen is beautiful. I hope you have a very enjoyable 16 days.

KnitYoga said...

Funnily enough, after I joined the Knitting Olympics I started to think along similar lines inasmuch that if I'm going to knit something that presents a real challenge, I don't want to feel pressured or have to rush it. Also, to me, knitting is very much associated with relaxation and my creative time away from the humdrum treadmill of the busy lives we lead where coming first seems to be what is lauded and applauded. But our knitting is not about that, is it? My feeling is that, if someone performs something to the best of their ability but doesn't necessarily *win*, they haven't failed because they did their best and probably learnt a lot along the way. The concept of failure is to a large extent created by the society we live in. Anyway, rant over. I'm going to have to give my project some very careful thought. I love what you've chosen for yours by the way.

Kate said...

Don't even think about not knitting for 16 days! If you aren't mad now, you will be at the end of that. Small and perfectly formed - now that's a lovely idea. I think I'm going to join the Eddie along too. It really is all about the process for me. Ordering from J&S? I think you can probably do it in an email but they are lovely to talk to.

karen said...

I can so much relate to this! The "enjoy the prosess" is absolutely where my knitting heart is at! I might join - and if not - I will - and am! -enjoying the prosess anyhow! And I agree - to knit NOTHING in 16 days would be a real big challenge to me too!The hat you're knitting is lovely!!

Strikkelise said...

What a lovely consept, to really concentrate on doing something very well. Also the whole Eddie along idea is so fun. I'm not joining, though, I'm intoxicated by FBS. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...