Saturday, January 14, 2006

Life by the frogpond

It's been a week of more frogging than knitting, but I am finally making some progress. Last night I managed to frog and reknit the Ballerina sleeve.

I have also frogged the Swing Thing coat in the photo above, and started it again in a different yarn.

The pattern calls for a worsted wool, but I wanted something more summery, and the aran weight silk from HipKnits seemed a good substitute. It knit up nice, and the pattern is good, and things were going smoothly once the gauge problems were worked out, but still I had a nagging feeling that it just wasn't right. Knitters' rule # 1: Don't ignore that feeling. It seems to me that the silk is too heavy and drapey for a swing coat, like it wouldn't show off the shape of it properly. Besides I wasn't really comfortable knitting such a heavy garment for a child.

I considered many options, but decided to try one thread of Svale from Dale (a cotton-silk-viscose blend) held together with one thread of Baby Silk from Du Store Alpakka (silk-baby alpaca blend). They knit up at exactly 16 stitches/10 cm - perfect! But I was trying with non-matching colours from stash, so I had to go shopping. Problem #1: No LYS carries both yarns, which makes colour matching tricky. Problem #2 :Both yarns are available in a very limited number of colourways, so I knew the options wouldn't be many. I bought two shades of Svale in the first shop, and brought them to the next shop, where I discovered problem # 3: The Svale colour range consists of light, cool, shimmery pastels, whereas the Baby Silk range consists of warm and muted colours, and they just don't mix well. I bought different shades of baby Silk too, and swatched all combinations of three Svale shades and four Baby Silk shades, and this rosy-pink combination is the only one that is at all possible:

The important thing is that Nenne (2) loves it. She looked so pleased and proud when I told her that I am knitting this coat for her. She literally lit up, it was quite a sight!

8 comments:

Janette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janette said...

Oh Tari, I know just what you mean. I'm having one of those weeks too. Nenne's little knit will look lovely in those colours - good luck with it.

Hoping Ballerina knits up smoothly for you too.

Tracy said...

I think ripping is in the air this week, I've done it twice this weekend! I love those two colour together, very pretty. I bet she can't wait!

strikkeforsker said...

Hi Tari, lovely blog. I can see we both like Hanne Falkenberg design and lace knitting.
Peacock feathers shawl is one of my WIP, it is very nice. I am using Helen's Lace from Lornas.
Shoalwater is an easy lace pattern. Both Fiddlesticks and Fibertrends patterns are easy to read and contains charts.
Ulla

KnitYoga said...

I think the rosy pink combination looks very nice. I know what you mean by the silk being a bit heavy for a child. I could well imagine it might be for a small child.

Anne said...

Tari - I've tagged you - please ignore it if you hate that sort of thing (or if you simply don't have time/inclination).

Strikkelise said...

What a great idea to combine those two yarns. They're both beautiful and lovely and soft. I'm not a champion at using two qualities at once, I'm reading and learning here :)

Beth S. said...

You just can't go wrong with pink. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...