Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Christmas Ballerina

I cast on for Hanne Falkenberg's Ballerina jacket yesterday. (Colourway 15 tomato/poppy/fuchsia/cyclamen)

It's for my mother. Actually it's a Christmas gift for my mother. Not for next Christmas, but for the one behind us....

She really liked my Mermaid, but when I suggested I knit something for her too, she said no in a way that was hard to interpret. Was it modesty, or did she really not want anything homemade? I was a bit disappointed, because I already had the Ballerina design in mind for her, but decided it would have to wait, and was not going to be for this Christmas.

One week before Christmas , however, she mentioned that she would like new clothes, "like a sweater or something", for Christmas. At this point I decided to disregard the previous no-knit-request, because I knew that if I got a Falkenberg kit I could knit a far better sweater than any readymade I could have afforded to buy. I ordered the kit from Pinnsvindesign, gift wrapped it and committed myself to start it immediately and finish before the end of January. I figured I could get away with this because the Falkenberg kits are very nicely presented in a fancy clear bag, with a good photo and designer tags. I'm not sure I would have done it this way if it wasn't a gorgeous kit, but just had to wrap some balls of yarn. Finally, by doing the Christmas knitting this way I didn't have to worry about choosing the wrong pattern or colourway, because we could have returned it if she had wanted a different kit!

She liked the colourway I had chosen, which brings me to "what's-in-it-for-me": I'm hoping for leftover yarn. I have some leftover yarn from Mermaid which I would like to use for a top to match the jacket, but there isn't enough yarn, and it's not possible to buy extra balls of Falkenberg yarn. I have been pestering the good people at Pinnsvindesign with questions and attempted schemes to buy some more Falkenberg yarn, but no, I would have to buy another kit. I considered a hat kit, since I only need a ball or two, but they cost almost NOK 500, which is just plain ridiculous. I started looking for alternative matching yarns, and when asked a direct question they (Pinnsvindesign) agreed that their Tweed 300 would be a possible choice. I'm thinking Jamieson's 2-ply shetland wool might work too, but haven't checked it out further. But now I hope the problem is solved, because the Ballerina 15 shares the tomato colour with my Mermaid 9, an the Poppy colour of Ballerina 15 matches the orange colours of Mermaid 9 very nicely.

6 comments:

Janette said...

Happy New Year Tari and good luck with Ballerina!
Janette

jacqueline said...

man you are one smart girl!! i'm keeping my fingers crossed that you have just enough yarn left at the end of your project.

KnitYoga said...

I love the Ballerina, too. I have it on my 'to do' list to make some time. I hope you have enough yarn left to make the top to match your Mermaid jacket!

MagFly said...

Eg har nokre reste-nøster frå Mermaid liggande... Gje meg eit pip viss du manglar meir.

Tracy said...

Ballerina has been my favourite for a long time now. I like the way it's longer at the back.

Beth S. said...

Those are wonderful colors. Very good choice for this time of year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...