Sunday, December 04, 2005

Turquoise clapotis

It has become apparent that I must knit another clapotis.

While making my own clapotis this Spring I was thinking that it would be nice to make a turquoise one for my friend H. Simply because the clapotis for some reason seems to have her name on it, and she looks fabulous in turquoise. But then my endless list of unstarted knitting projects got in the way and I told myself it was stupid of me to put the extra pressure on myself.

She lives far way from me and we don't get together very often, but this weekend she came to stay. She was wearing her beautiful turquoise ring, she talked about the crafts business she wants to start, she gave me three bottles of wine and she really liked my clapotis. She is lovely and generous and it's been a long time since I gave her a gift, and everything about the situation seemed to cry out to me: You must knit H. a turquoise clapotis now, and that's an order! Of course it could have been the wine talking, but I'm not taking any chances.

I have considered Artyarns Supermerino, and Colinette Skye in the Lapis colourway (picture), but I would like a yarn with silk content. Hipknits Silk is closed for the next few weeks, so that's not an option. Artyarns Regal Silk seems like a lovely yarn, but it would be almost the same price as L&L for a yarn I'm not familiar with and have never seen used for clapotis. So the strongest contenders are Lornas Laces Lion & Lamb or Noro Silk Garden.

Noro Silk Garden has the perfect colourway in number 8, and all the Silk Garden clapotis (what is the plural form of clapotis???) I have seen on different blogs look fantastic with perfect stripes and no pooling. This one has just the right colour and striping. But when I look at close-ups I don't like the SG versions so much. I have never tried SG, but judging from the close-ups it seems to knit up less evenly than the Lion & lamb, and the dropped stitches don't look as nice as the L&L.

My Lion & Lamb clapotis is buttery soft, the silk is a little bit shiny, the dropped stitches are nice and distinct, it's heavy and drapes well. But every L&L clapotis I have seen has some degree of pooling. Mine too, and I hate that. I haven't seen a single one where the self-striping turns out half as well as the Noro. And I haven't found the perfect turquoise colourway in L&L.

What to do?

8 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Tari,

I've just knitted a scarf using NSG - it's a little "rustic" - there are the occasional bits of what looks like straw in there. It works really well for the scarf I did, but I'm not sure that it's right for a clapotis - it certainly wouldn't come out as soft as you describe the Lion & Lamb one.

My twopennorth anyway.

Julie said...

Hi! I made a Clapotis in Silk Garden and have a picture of a close-up here if you want to get a good look:

http://boogaj.typepad.com/knitting/2005/02/clapotis_.html

Daisy said...

I've never felt Lion & Lamb, but when I've felt Silk Garden (only in the shop, have never knitted with it) it seemed a little rough.

Mary-Lou said...

Lion & Lamb does seem to be nice - have felt someone else's clapotis in this - and Hazel Knityoga has just completed one in Hipknits silk which looks gorgeous. Have also just spotted a new silk supplier called Curious Yarns - the photos on her web-site look good anyway, and she also has a blog, http://curiousyarns.blogspot.com/

hth?

karen said...

I think they're lovely both the LL and silk garden. But if you haven't seen this site before: http://two_pointy_sticks.blogspot.com/ - please go and explore!! She is selling maybe the most heavenly yarn I've ever seen - so far only on screen - some day I wish to treat myself to some of it! Sounds like your friend would be worth it! Good luck!

KnitYoga said...

I was just about to mention Curions Yarns but I see Mary-Lou has already mentioned it. They have a silk on there called Splash which is based on turquoise, jades and greens. I'm definitely going to be trying their yarn when I've got my stash down a bit. I agree with what's been said by others about Noro Silk Garden being rough whereas I've found Lion & Lamb to be nice and soft.

Strikkelise said...

I love that pink and yellow Clapotis of yours. What is it that you don't like about the SG closeups? Is it the little specs? I like the specks. What about some other Noro yarn, like Kureyon? (I've never tried it, but it looks great)

patti said...

Quite a few clapotis have been done in Four Play from Brooks Farm (www.brooksfarmyarn.com). Knitpicks.com has some new luxury yarns for decent prices but in limited colors. I considered doing mine in silk garden because my local shop carries it. Then I snagged some Trendsetter Kashmir on ebay for a sinfully low price. I really do think a soft yarn makes all the difference in that pattern.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...