Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Season of crappy pictures and a new clapotis

I finished my friend's clapotis last night.

I haven't posted any progress pictures or reports, because she told me she had read my blog, so keeping the work-in-progress secret was my last feeble attempt to retain a bit of surprise for her! I can't believe how dumb I was thinking she wouldn't find my blog, when I had actually shown it to her myself. I just didn't think she would actually remember my nick ("Tari" is such a long and complicated word to remember, right).

I won't have a chance to photograph it in daylight before I send it to her tomorrow, so here are some bad flashlight pictures of the FO, and a natural light picture of the yarn so you get an idea of the colour.

It's Noro Silk Garden in colourway 8, which I thought was turquoise before I saw it in real life. But there's hardly any turquoise in it at all, it's mainly blues and greens and a bit of deep purple, but my brain perceived it as turquoise when I saw pictures of swatches.

I chose the Noro Silk Garden despite a number of other interesting yarn suggestions from commenters. But I really, really wanted to try the SG, so I guess that was the what's-in-it-for-me part of the project!

I think the SG made a wonderful pattern, and the saturation of the colours is just amazing. I used six skeins, but had to cut two pattern repeats in the straight section, and when I finished there was 20 centimeters left of yarn! I was pretty nervous during the last couple of hours of knitting; the suspense was unbearable and I had to knit into the wee hours to see how it ended. I guess it was time to go to bed when I realised with a start that "oh dear, I dropped a stitch". Duh.

8 comments:

Steph said...

wow, it is stunning. I love my Silk Garden Clapotis, it drapes so beautifully. You're friend will be thrilled! What an amazing gift!

castoncastoff said...

Gorgeous. It's all worth it, isn't it. My friend adores her SG clapotis.

Daisy said...

That is so so beautiful. Makes me want to make one in Silk Garden now! Your friend will love it.

KnitYoga said...

That is absolutely stunning! I love the way the colours distribute with the Silk Garden on the clapotis and the colourway you've chosen is perfect. I bet your friend will treasure it.

Janette said...

Just gorgeous. My next will be in silk garden.

Tracy said...

Beautiful! I love those colours.

karen said...

It's absolutely beautiful, Tari! What a wonderful gift for your friend! And it makes me smile to think that we both sat up last night knitting like crazy - I finished my mom's clapotis at 1.30 am this "morning"...puh!!!

Anonymous said...

She does love it! Best Regards, Tari's friend :-) (wearing turquois silk clapotis as we speak)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...