Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My cabled cardigan is (almost) finished

Spec:
Pattern: Rauma model 4040
Yarn: Rauma 3-tråds strikkegarn (3-ply wool)
Started 21 October 2005, finished 25 November 2005
Modifications: The front is completely changed. In the original pattern the front is completely covered with celtic type cables, but I have made it plain with one cable running up along the edge. I have changed it to a raglan model rather than set-in-sleeves, and knit the whole thing in stockinette stitch rather than garter stitch. The collar is my own, and the ribbing is longer and has a combination of cables and ribs, instead of all cables. I have replaced the cabled buttonbands with an I-cord edge, and will put in a zipper instead of buttons.

It is not completely finished yet, because I need to procrastinate a bit before I put in that zipper! For the first time I took the time to wetblock the pieces before seaming it up, and I used matress stitches for the seams, and it really made a big difference. I want to rip the seams of all previous projects and matress stitch them too now!

8 comments:

Daisy said...

Wow - that looks SO fab! Congratulations! You knit so fast too!

Anne said...

That is gorgeous - isn't mattress stitch a revelation?! I only got the hang of it a few weeks ago - I'm a big fan now too.

I have so much admiration for anyone with the patience for cabling.

Tracy said...

Beautiful cables and look we match!
Purple is definitely the way to go don't you think? ;)

Beth S. said...

It's a work of art. I love how you made this pattern your own by changing so many of the details. And the beautiful color doesn't hurt, either!

KnitYoga said...

I love the cables. I think you've done a great job with making the pattern your own and it fits perfectly.
Hazel

Heather said...

Wow! It is just beautiful!

handknit168 said...

It must have a lot of patient to knit cable. Knitting Cable makes me exhausted.

My Blog
My on-line shop

karen said...

Absolutely beautiful!! The way you combined the two patterns is impressing! lovely color and cables!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...