Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Knitting Meme

Steph has tagged me with the knitting meme that is travelling around blogland these days:

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?

I like Dale Baby Ull for its vibrant colours, and it knits up nice and evenly. I have used it a lot. I like Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb for its softness, shine and the distinct smell of silk. But every time I wear my L&L clapotis it leaves a lot of fluff on my clothes, and for that reason alone the L&L it can't be a top favorite, besides I think it got a dull halo way too soon. And then there is KidSilk Haze. I am not sure it's a favorite when the actual knitting is going on, but the thing that gets me every time I wear my Birch shawl is the deep glow of the silk behind the soft fluff of the mohair.

Your favorite needles?
All I ask is that they must be circular, in good working condition and the right size. Needles are not a priority with me. I will make sure never to try any good ones however, because I am drawn to quality and probably wouldn't be able to resist if I found out what I'm missing out on!

The worst thing you've ever knit?
Haha! The things I could show you! What do you want to see? Bad pattern? Bad finishing? Bad fitting? Bad choice of yarn?
No. I will show you the most spectacular mistake of them all, born from a killer combination of bad taste and bad judgment: The 1987 Oversized Unshaped Cotton Intarsia Face Monster Sweater:
What really gets me is that I was an exchange student in Canada at the time, and there were knitters all around me. But did I ask for their advice? Did I go to a Canadian LYS to explore the local specialties? No! I had my my mother send me the Monster Sweater Kit from Norway. I didn't even send for a good Norwegian Knit Kit (they really aren't very hard to find). What was I thinking??!!! For the record, it's a Drops/Garnstudio design.
I think there is a website for knit designs of horror like this.

Your most favorite knit pattern? (maybe you don't like wearing it...but it was the most fun to knit)
This is almost impossible to answer! I loved knitting Birch, I found it captivating. And I really enjoy a bit of stranded multicolour knitting, like the Rose Cardigan and the Elephant Cardigan. Also I enjoy immensely the cabled cardigan which is my current WIP, it's just flowing, whereas my first attempt at cables was hard work and a lot of frogging. And then there is Mermaid , which is an incredibly clever pattern.

Most valuable knitting technique?
Reading. Frogging! My greatest strengt in knitting is that I have no humility. I believe that if I can read it, I can knit it. My first proper attempt at knitting was a (very simple I must admit) fair isle sweater in grade 7, and the basic lesson I learnt from that experience was not to have too much respect for the task at hand. At the end of the day even the most complex of patterns come down to basic knitting and purling.

Best knit book or magazine?
I like the articles in Knitty. I think "Norsk Strikkedesign" is a fascinating book with amazing designs that I will never knit and wouldn't be comfortable wearing, but they are nevertheless breathtaking.

Your favorite knit-a-long? I have only participated in one, which was a Clapotis-along. I found it very useful.

Your favorite knitblogs?
Are listed in my blogroll to the right.

Your favorite knitwear designer? Hanne Falkenberg. No doubt. I would also like to explore the other danes, like Jytte Slente and Marianne Isager. I admire the work of Solveig Hisdal. I like a lot of Kim Hargreaves' designs.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)
Birch and Mermaid (see picture). I would like to wear them every day, but they don't go well together! I try to hold back on the Mermaid-wearing, because it's so perfect that I want to keep it for many years. Birch I wear as a shawl indoors, and drape it like a scraf when I go out the door. It's so versatile. I think I might make myself another one in the Toffee colourway.

Time for tagging: Karen, Ingrid, Smileull and Kate.

2 comments:

karen said...

I like this meme! Thanks for challenging me - I'll get it done as soon as I get a little time!

Steph said...

Oh but in the 80's you were probably the coolest with that monster sweater! I made a big grey sack sweater which I wore together with silver sarouel pants (you know the ones where the crotch is down by the knees?), accessorized with neon yellow socks. Man, I wish I had photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...