Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A quick knit on fat needles!

I am making headway on my cabled cardigan, and enjoying it tremendously. Knitting with 3.5 mm needles and gauge 20/10cm goes very fast compared to the 2 mm/gauge 28 that I tend to end up with for most of my knitting projects. The picture was taken today after four pattern repeats and a 5 inch ribbing. The ribbing is partly Mariah, partly Rauma. So far I am using the Rauma numbers, but I was surprised to find that they are pretty much the same when I studied the two patterns closer. The biggest surprise was that the body of the Mariah has no shaping. Neither does the Rauma, but I didn't expect it too. I am not sure what to do about this, I have googled and read about different peoples' experience with the Mariah, and apparently there are a few problems with the pattern. I might just discard both patterns and get out my calculator and do the math myself, while shamelessly stealing the design ideas.

The yarn is a very traditional 3 ply wool, which directly translated is quite simply is named "3 ply knitting yarn". I don't know why I find that so funny! Everything about this yarn is traditional, old-fashioned (look at those labels!), unimaginative and down to earth (the name), and the yarn itself is firm, dry and scratchy. It's the kind of yarn my old crafts teacher would choose (you know, the one that put me off sock knitting for ever) - in fact everything that describes this yarn describes her personality too :lol:

But I am beginning to like it. Which is more than I can say about that teacher :hysteric giggle:

2 comments:

karen said...

I really can picture that old teacher of yours! Nonetheless - the yarn looks perfect for this jacket and it is coming along beautifully!Magnificent color!

karen said...

(ps: så morsomt at du også har bestilt Temptation! Jeg har også googlet for harde livet uten å finne noen andre. Håper du får den snart så kan vi ha en liten KAL! Hvilken farge valgte du?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...