Sunday, September 18, 2005

Startitis, a new WIP, a new Future Project but no Finished Project

This week, following my shopping spree on Monday and the arrival of Rebecca on Tuesday, I have fought hard to ward off startitis. But I know I am a one-project knitter, so I can't start anything new before I finish the Mermaid. Multiple projects tend to overwhelm me, and I lose motivation.

This weekend, however, the Mermaid has reached a point where she is not anymore suitable for lunchtime knitting, TV knitting, reading & knitting or talking & knitting, so when I did start a new project today it wasn't due to startitis but necessity. I chose the ribbed alpaca sweater (Du Store Alpakka). It starts with 22 cm of k3 p2, and nothing else, no increases, no shaping, no paying attention, and would bore me to tears if it were my only project, so I think it will be a perfect second project. I have several other complicated patterns lined up as soon as I finish Mermaid, so I think I will keep the alpaca sweater as a parallel project through my next 4-5 projects (which are all cables or lace).

I had decided to go with the Rebecca pattern in the picture for my cashmere yarn, but changed my mind again yesterday when I read this review of 1000 Sweaters , which I ordered from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I'll wait for the book, and take it from there. Apparently the book takes shaping seriously, which is something I find important, but often lacking in commercial patterns.

I am very impressed with the efficiency of the Rebecca people. I ordered the magazine from the German website, and it arrived exactly one week later. Not quite so impressed with Interweave which I ordered in May, e-mailed several complaints about in July and August, and still have not received. Must remember to write them a very grumpy e-mail if I still don't have it by tomorrow night.

I don't want to buy the latest Rowan Magazine, but I do want the River pattern, so when Pinnsvindesign offered a kit with the River pattern alone, and no freight costs for this particular kit, I could resist no more, and placed an order for the River kit in Kidsilk Nightly in colourway Starry Night. I also ordered a Kid Silk Haze shade card as I have a feeling there will be more KSH projects in the future...

2 comments:

• B E N B E N E K • said...

Just wanted to announce the 4th anniversary of Hand Knits for Young Moderns - a website filled with scans from vintage knitting pattern books - thank you!

Tracy said...

You'll be fine with that as your second project. I know exactly what you mean about the distraction. I think that's why I like a sock or two whilst playing with a major project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...