Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Mermaid Regress Report

With the Birch finished, I return to the Mermaid. I would have preferred to show some progress on this, but I had to face the unpleasant fact that the upsizing of needles was a mistake. I have no idea why I didn't stick with the original needles, I even made a swatch. Again I run into the problem of too loose stitches, and with a garter stitch pattern like this, loose stitches look really bad (it looks way better in the picture than it does in real life). Can you see the look of anticipation on that frog's face?

I showed it to my mother-in-law without mentioning my doubt, and before she could think she said "of course you don't have to frog it entirely, the first centimeter is fine, but the rest must go". Well, it so happens that it was at one centimeter that I stupidly changed to the bigger needle, so that was a spot-on remark, and it made my decision a lot easier. I did as advised, and spent yesterday night knitting like a madwoman to make up for lost time. I am back with the 2.5 mm needles now, and it looks better, but not perfect. But it will have to do - there's no way I'm knitting a great, big adult cardigan on 2 mm needles. Hopefully it will shape up when I soak and block it. If not, well, it will be a nice chance to fight that destructive inner perfectionist!!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hope the Mermaid is progressing well now. Poor you having to redo it. Love the frog!

Ingrid said...

Hei Tari, du får trøste deg med at du verken er den første eller den siste som kommer til å gjøre den erfaringa... Gleder meg til å se litt mer av havfruen din etterhvert. Det kan virke som om litt mindre selvkritikk kan være på sin plass - begge Birch-sjalene dine er nydelige, og jeg er helt sikker på at feilene er det bare du som ser! Ha en fin kveld!!

KnitYoga said...

Shame you had to frog it but at least you'll be happier with it now. I love the photo and the frog looking on in anticipation!
:-) I was wondering if you'd mind if I put a link to it on http.knitspeak.blogspot.com (where I define knitter's terminology) as a humorous pictorial definition for frogging? This gauge business is a pain isn't it. I hate swatching but, with the Birch, I'm hoping it won't be too big when blocked. I'm using the recommended size needles and it's working out a bit smaller than the gauge given. I ascertained this by measuring it when frogging a row I had make a mistake on! Hopefully, it will be small enough to come out right after allowing for the increase in size after blocking?!!

KnitYoga said...

Tari, thanks for letting me use your wonderful frog photo on the Knitspeak blog. I've put it up now along with a bit of text and a link to your blog. Please have a look when you can and let me know if there's anything you'd like to change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...