Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mermaid progress pictures

Here are progress pictures of Mermaid at the halfway point exactly. She is knit in one piece from the I-cord which forms the left front edge (at the far left in the picture). In the middle of the picture is the opening for inserting the sleeve. It is not just a split in the fabric, but a carefully shaped opening, and there is also an upside-down underarm wedge, which I imagine helps the shaping of the waistline. I have reached the middle of the back (at the right in the picture), where there is another upside-down wedge. There are a lot of sweater patterns with a shaped waistline, but this one goes a bit further. It will be shaped both from the front/back view, as well as from the side view. I am really impressed with the shaping of this jacket. In the second picture I have folded it, and also pinned down the collar, to show what the front left will look like.

At this point the instructions simply say: Do the same, but in the reverse order. Well, thank you, Hanne! Looking forward to it!

In any case I should be able to finish the rest of the body in 5 days. And then take a trip to Sleeve Island...

8 comments:

karen said...

i'm impressed about your fast progress on this! It's looking wonderful - both the colors and the shaping -lovely design! Would love to knit it too, just need to finish around 10 other things first..;)

Tracy said...

It looks so good in those colours, I bet you're really pleased with it.

Daisy said...

It loves lovely.

KnitYoga said...

Mermaid is looking really good and, yes, the shaping is impressive and the colours - spot on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tari, it will look lovely I think! And with your support I have sent an email inquiry to Pinnsvindesign regarding Diva. For the time being I'll have to speedknit on Rogue then;-)

patti said...

I have Mermaid also. I haven't actually started it. I have swatched and swatched. I can't seem to overcome what I consider problems in the appearance of the stitches. The 3mm was definitely too large to achieve gauge. It took weeks to find a 2.5mm in the U.S. In the meantime, I tried a US 2, and a 2mm. Basically, when I use a size to achieve gauge, the stitches look loose, sloppy, and uneven. When I move down to a needle small enough that the stitches look right to me, the finished garment would only fit a child. Any hints?

Leah said...

Hi. I just wanted to tell you about this cool message board for knitters to get together and share patterns, knitting secrets and make friendships. See you there.
http://tightknitfriends.aimoo.com

Steph said...

Beautiful. Now I really can't wait to get started. Thanks for the pictures and tips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...