Monday, September 05, 2005

Completed Birch II

Here they are together, my two Birches. The green (colour Jelly) one was finished in the summer. I have worn it to work a couple of times, and I'm amazed at the amount of attention it attracts. The blue one (colour Nightly) was finished yesterday, and will be a birthday gift for my aunt, my wonderful and generous aunt A.K.

Initially I was very pleased with the first Birch. Now that I have some more experience, and have seen a few versions in different blogs, I have grown much more critical to my own shawls. Both have mistakes, but they are fewer and better camouflaged in the second one, so I don't mind that part of it so much. But after seeing a lot of other Birches, I find that my knitting is to loose, and the stitches to "big". I have used 4.5 mm needles instead of 5 mm, and tried to tighten the stitches as I went along, but I'm still not entirely satisfied. I don't know what more I could have done, though,I guess it all comes down to a lack of lace practise. For this reason I feel a bit shy about presenting it as a gift. My aunt is a very able knitter herself, so she will know what she's being given, but she will also be able to look at it with an experienced (and perhaps critical?) eye.

She knitted the baby cardigan in the third picture for my daughter. It is a fairly complicated, traditional Norwegian pattern, which caused her a lot of trouble, so I thought it would be a nice gesture to knit something special for her in return, something a bit complicated, something she wouldn't try herself.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

I'm sure she will love it, because YOU made it! Everybody seems to be hyper-critical of their own projects (I know I am) and the same projects get admired by everyone else. Anyway, perfection isn't everything, it's the thought and time that goes into the making!

KnitYoga said...

Tari, I think both your Birches look lovely. I'm making Birch at the moment so can appreciate all of the work that you must have put into your aunt's present. As an experienced knitter, your aunt will know that you've put in a lot of care and effort and I'm sure she will really treasure it.

Steph said...

What a beautiful picture, those two Birches together. Your aunt will love it, don't be so hard on yourself ;-) I know how you feel though, I'm very critical of my own work, but not when it comes to something that's been given to me. It continues to amaze me that someone will spend the time and thought to make something just for me. What love!

karen said...

both birches look wonderful! I'm sure that nearly any handknitted garment will have some mistakes if you look closely - but that's what makes you know it was really hand-knit. Your aunt - as an experienced knitter will in particular know how to apriciate such a wonderful gift - she will immediatly know that you put in a lot of hours of knitting for her. Birch has more than 30.000 stitches,I read somewhere! I'm sure she will love it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...