Tuesday, August 02, 2005

New projects


















I have cast on for a baby aran sweater today, but so far I have only done a few rows, because I've been busy reading blogs instead.

After knitting the Birch, I find myself looking for a new lace project. I would like to try a traditional Shetland lace shawl, and have spent the evening reading blogs, in particular this one and this one, and looking at websites like Fiddlesticks and Blackberry. There are so many beautiful shawls, but for the time being I find it impossible to choose a pattern. Need to think more and read more blogs and look around a bit I think. Meanwhile I think I will knit another Birch in some deep red alpaca from my stash (the picture on the left). I am not convinced it will work out well, but will give it a try.

My blog reading tonight also brought the book Aran Knitting by Alice Starmore to my attention. Apparently it is out of stock and out of press and only available second hand at the most ridiculous prices (185 US dollars at Amazon!!!). I think I will have to renew my library card, because I must get my hands on this book.

I will be going away on holiday again tomorrow, but will be back and blogging in a week, and hope to be able to show some progress on the little sweater.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I'm proud and honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence as Wendy Johnson (aka the uberknitter). Thank you! As to which shawl, there are so many to choose from it's hard to pick. There are lots of lovely ideas on Sharon Miller's Heirloom Knitting site. I can't work out how to put a link here but it's easy to find if you Google. Have a good holiday.

Mitz said...

If youre in for a mystery shawl you might join in with this group.

So far this mystery looks real good, and we are only at clue 1!

Mitz said...

Oops, here is the url: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mysteryshawlalong/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...