Friday, August 19, 2005

Mermaid progress report 1

The initial problems of the Mermaid are now solved, and my first worries replaced with new ones. Thank you Steph and Rineke for the translation of "omslag" (yarn-over)! I found a way to pick up stitches neatly, and it went very well. I also figured out the strange edge stitches (t0 slip stitch as if to purl and keep yarn in front of stitch) by simply following the instructions to the letter (why didn't I think about that before!?)

So now I have finished the I-cord, picked up the stitches and knit a few rows. Enter new problem: To much space between the rows. It's difficult to explain, but I feel that a garter stitch fabric should be quite firm, with closely set rows. I changed needle size from 2.5 mm to the 3 mm the instructions call for, and it helped a bit. I don't want to increase needle size more than this because then I would have a problem with gauge. (I may already have a problem with gauge, but prefer to be in denial about that for a while.)

Anyway, this is what it looks like now:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...