Thursday, August 18, 2005

Intriguing Mermaid

I started Hanne Falkenberg's Mermaid last night. I love the simplicity and the lines of this design, I think it's quite ingenious.

Hanne Falkenberg is a Danish knit designer, whose designs are only sold as kits. Mermaid is one of her latest designs, I believe, and comes in 9 different colour combinations. 
Falkenberg's designs are suppossed to be easy knits, this one is entirely in garter stitch and you only work with one colour at a time.

Or so they say.

I have read through the pattern, which I found quite confusing. It's a bit longer and a bit more detailed than I expected, but that could be a cultural thing I suppose. I have heard someone comment that Norwegian patterns tend to be very brief, but that brevity is what I conceive as normal! Also the pattern is in Danish, so there are a couple of words I have to look up (unless someone can tell me what "omslag" means?)

Anyway, I'm sure it will all be fine, but there are some unusual things in the instructions, and there are some things that I just don't like to do.

The start, which you can see in the picture, will be a 75 cm long I-cord. The I-cord will form the left front edge, and from this you pick up stitches and knit the jacket, back, fronts and collar, in one piece vertically from the left front to the right front. Isn't that quite strange?! Now, I am already troubled, because I don't like to pick up stitches, I am just not very good at doing it neatly. But that's a piece of cake I suppose if you compare to the finishing, where you knit another cord, but not separately, but sort of knit it together with the rest of the jacket. I really did not understand that bit, but will not worry about that now. Also there is a lot of shaping as you go along, and something about the top and bottom edge stitches that I didn't quite get.

I'm puzzled. I'll just have to try and see how it goes. It is definitely not going to be the mindless knit I had expected!

2 comments:

Steph said...

omslag probably means yarn-over. But I'm just thinking that because it sounds just like Umschlag, which is German for yarn-over. So better check with a native ;-)

Rineke said...

Hej Tari,

As steph suggested, omslag does mean yarn over. Definitely.
I'm not a native but near enough to know...
Good luck with the pattern :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...